How to get wine bottle labels off?

bnew17

Does anybody know how to get wine bottle labels off? Somebody gave me a bunch of wine bottles to use for my muscadine wine. Every now and then i can get a label off clean but usually the adhesive is left on the bottle. Ive done some research on google and tried a bunch of the different methods they say works but they dont. ANybody know a way? Thanks

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Have you tried alcohol or fingernail polish remover?

chadf

Goog/goof off.(sp?)
Razor blade.
Fire.

Etc. Alot of options.

simpleman30

hot water

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Have you tried WD-40,orMurphy's Oil Soap? I've had some luck with hot water soaking. Use a razorblade scraper,before the previous products. If you have some really,really hard ones,drink them yourself,serve company out of clean, purty ones.

bnew17

Ive tried Goo Gone. It works OK. Most of the time it just smears the adhesvie around under the label.

telco guy

Remove label and spray a little wd-40. use your finger to rub it around on the adhesive. It will ball up and come right off. If you use a rag to rub it around the rag will take the wd-40 off instead of it working in to the glue

j_seph

When we removed price labels from beer cartons to put them into another store that could sale them we just took a lighter and heated em up. They would peel off real easy once the glue warmed up

gunnurse

Many labels have a plastic overlay on them. Without this being taken off, the water will not penetrate the paper label. I have removed hundreds of labels using just Dawn and hot water. Let them soak for about 20 minutes. I actually cut the ends off of the bottle and make chandeliers and candelabras with the bottles.

packrat

Acetone

Industrial strength acetone. Most any hardware store carries it.

blues brother

Scape the lable and adhesive off (or atleast most of it)with knife/razor then WD-40 on a rag to wipe off any left over adhesive. Wash in hot soapy water to remove the wd. Then sterilize with your preferred method before filling with wine.

MX5HIGH

Soak in hot water overnight. Add some dish washing soap.

Dog Hunter

Soak in hot water overnight. Add some dish washing soap.

This is what we do. You can pull off what will come off and soak or just soak. Take a knife and scarpe. May have to resoak again. Problem with using wd40 and etc is the smell will stay with you sometimes.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Seems like when my beer bottles sit in ice water for too long the label floats right off, clean as a whistle. :huh: I'm wondering if ice water has a better effect on the adhesive than the logical choice of hot water???:huh:

JagMP24

Place bottles in a large bucket and fill with water. Add 1 cup of ammonia and let sit at least a day. Labels fall right off. I do this for beer bottles all the time.

7Mag Hunter

Soak bottle in water to soften paper, and or scrape paper off
using a sharp knife...Dry bottle and use
gas on a clean rag to remove the glue..Glue comes right off..
let air dry and wash good in Dawn soap.....It will
look like a new bottle.....