How do you keep Turkeys out of foodplot

Inthegarge

Sat in a blind near my just planted foodplot the other evening. Had 50-60 turkeys hit the plot for almost 1 1/2 hrs and I could just see all my seed being eaten up.....Is there some way to discourage them until the seeds sprout ?

Inthegarge

50-60?
Maybe invite a few turkey hunters to your place in the spring too?

I do every year but most don't want to come this far north it seems ??? LOL Your invited.... They are even in my mineral lick

Here's a couple of last years herd

Turkey race.JPG

Turkey in mineral lick.jpg

bluemarlin

Well, thank you for the invite Sir.

It definitely appears/sounds like an infestation.
I'm not sure but you may qualify for a depredation permit.

Forest Grump

I'm not sure but you may qualify for a depredation permit.

Not for a food plot! :whip:

To the OP: in the future, plant when rain is imminent; turkeys will get less of the seed than you think by watching or seeing the scratched ground, but if it sits in the dirt long enough they can winnow it down. They don't bother it much after it sprouts, so plant when there's moisture available, & they don't have a long period to work on it. Supposed to rain this week, you should be OK.

Coyote decoy works as well. Owls not so much, turkeys don't fear something 1/3 their size. They gobble at owls & crows in spring, but have little to fear from them except when they're poults. Coyote decoys run around $80-100 for a good 3D one, so you need a pretty big food plot for it to pay off, unless you're a coyote hunter.

Alternatively: next time you're in the blind & 50 turkeys show up for afternoon tea, unzip the door, step out & holler "Hooty-Hoo!" while waving your arms like an idiot...
Birds will suddenly find they have somewhere else they need to be instead of around the nut job in the little camo tent... ::gone::banana:

:bounce:

bluemarlin

Only trying to give the guy advice. We all know you'll not receive a permit for a food plot, Mr Grump.
Personally, I have no idea what else is on his property that would give him a legitimate reason for the permit. Please, don't think that I know everything but it could be a possibility.

Forest Grump

Only trying to give the guy advice. We all know you'll not receive a permit for a food plot, Mr Grump.
Personally, I have no idea what else is on his property that would give him a legitimate reason for the permit. Please, don't think that I know everything but it could be a possibility.

For the record, I honestly thought you made that suggestion in jest...

And you might be surprised at some of the situations people have received crop depredation permits, though I haven't heard of someone being issued one for turkeys.

Maybe he'll have you over in spring to help him reduce his overall population density.:cheers:

Inthegarge

To the OP: in the future, plant when rain is imminent; turkeys will get less of the seed than you think by watching or seeing the scratched ground, but if it sits in the dirt long enough they can winnow it down. They don't bother it much after it sprouts, so plant when there's moisture available, & they don't have a long period to work on it. Supposed to rain this week, you should be OK.

Coyote decoy works as well. Owls not so much, turkeys don't fear something 1/3 their size. They gobble at owls & crows in spring, but have little to fear from them except when they're poults. Coyote decoys run around $80-100 for a good 3D one, so you need a pretty big food plot for it to pay off, unless you're a coyote hunter.

Alternatively: next time you're in the blind & 50 turkeys show up for afternoon tea, unzip the door, step out & holler "Hooty-Hoo!" while waving your arms like an idiot...
Birds will suddenly find they have somewhere else they need to be instead of around the nut job in the little camo tent... ::gone::banana:

Thx I did plant before a rain.....Unfortunately my foodplot is on the side of a ridge (no access) and a lot was washed down hill by the deluge of rain we got 2 weeks ago... I was thinking about doing what you suggested but it was near dark and deer should have been close by....Thx again for the suggestions...

bander_TC50

gump that actually works pretty good tried it once trying to seperate a tom from his hens during turkey season. :bounce:

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I lost one 1/4 acre food plot to turkey's this year. Even though the weather man said we were going to get rain, that one area got missed. I think the turkey's had a field day on it for about 5 days and the wheat and oats are pretty slim pickings!

Thank goodness we planted clover in there too and it's coming in good. Always good to have a backup!

Killdee

I have been running them out of plots all week end and I tend to cover my stuff deeper than most folks, of course they like that freshly sprouted wheat, oats, rye and clover as well as seed.

Ohoopee Tusker

Go buy a cheap stuffed animal (teddy bear) and put it in the plot.

bander_TC50

I have been running them out of plots all week end and I tend to cover my stuff deeper than most folks, of course they like that freshly sprouted wheat, oats, rye and clover as well as seed.

man i hope they dont get in my plot cause its planted in oats clover and brasicas. i have several plot picks taken march of this year with 30+ turkeys wondering around in my plot.

it might explain why i have never had any luck with clover coming up in my plot.

chadf

I'll offer free boot work to help u out, come spring.
Thin out some loud mouths !

Killdee

I'm not sure much of anything would keep them out. Saturday afternoon, I came up on a flock feeding in a plot I planted for turkeys in mind and we had a truck and trailer, another trailer tractor and 4 wheeler parked within 15 yards of the birds.

I always plant well above the usual amount to help offset anything the turkeys eat clover included.

bandit819

We shoot them with sling shots. Its quite, scares the heck out of them when hit, doesn't kill/injure them, gives you something to do while waiting for bambi, and after a lesson or 2 they don't come back.