hot wax

the r.o.c.

my question is what kind of wax do you guys use when you do a hot wax dip with your leather? and how long do you you usually keep it in the wax? thanks the roc

Last edited:

Razor Blade

Hey Rodney, i use bee's wax, brewers pitch and neets foot oil. I mix it up 1/3 of each and heat it up to 280 degrees and hold it under for 15 - 20 seconds. The biggest thing to remember while doing this is to be sure to dry the leather first , because if it has any moisture in it , it will shrink and twist up as you have never seen { ask me how i know }. I use a food dehydrator and let my sheaths set in it for about 2 hours minimum....

Scott

OconeeDan

I use the same as Razor Blade above and Sharpe Blades, equal parts of pine pitch, neets foot oil, and bees wax. I use a crock pot and put it on high until it's smoking hot.
Dan

Razor Blade

I forgot to say that i use a little fry daddy, it heats up much faster for me. Just takes a few minutes to get there. I have found that i like it better if i cut back on the bees wax some, just a little. add a touch more of the other two .

Scott

arcame

:biggrin2: not the thread I was hoping for but good info anyway.

arcame

dont tell all your secrets the mods might get angry.