Type 1 Diabetic Question

nickel back

Hey, quick question. I just have been put on Novolog and Levemeir Insulins, a hospital doctor sent me home on these insulins. I am currently looking for a doctor in my area. Until then I have my correction dosage of Novolog to bring my sugar back to normal and my levemeir daily dosage. I need to know how many units of Novolog covers one carb before I eat a meal??? I have called the hospital and doctors today with no response. My sugar is on a roller coaster not knowing this cover dosage, can someone please help???

Laura
P.S. I am Nickel Back's Girlfriend

JKnieper

Everyone is different and there is no set dosage. You need to call the doctor that sent you home for help and get with a good endocrinologist ASAP! If you are newly diagnosed you might very well be a roller coaster for a while and a competent doctor will help you get your long and short acting insulin dialed in. Record all you BG readings, time of day, and dosing units. This will tremendously help the doctor to help you. Good luck

Georgia Hard Hunter

JKnieper is correct get to a endocrinologist ASAP. I've had Type 1 for 25 years and they is no correct dose to start with it has to be worked out for you based on many things like your body's sensitivity to the insulin, eating habits, exercise, rest, overall health, and common illness (cold/flus) among a thousand other things. Work with your correction doses for right now. Also get into a habit of checking your blood sugar and logging you results and insulin doses, do this before breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime, also when ever you "don't feel right". Thats really important if you don't feel quite right ALWAYS ASSUME ITS YOUR SUGAR LEVEL and check you blood glucose level and write down time, BG level, and what you did (if you eat because of low BG or take more insulin because of high BG). It will take several months of working with a endocrinologist to get everything worked out for you with your proper doses but things will get easier with time. Diabetes can be acute with life threatening problems if not managed but don't cheat and let things go because a "little candy bar won't hurt" frequently most people have problems with the long term effects of high blood sugar like blindness, heart problems, kidney problems, sores that won't heal ect. THIS ALL CAN BE PREVENTED IF YOU ACCEPT YOUR NEW PROBLEM AND MAKE A LIFELONG COMMITMENT OT CONTROLLING YOUR BLOOD GLUCOSE. Good luck to you and PM me with any questions or if you just need to talk to somebody who understands.
GHH

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Hey, quick question. I just have been put on Novolog and Levemeir Insulins, a hospital doctor sent me home on these insulins. I am currently looking for a doctor in my area. Until then I have my correction dosage of Novolog to bring my sugar back to normal and my levemeir daily dosage. I need to know how many units of Novolog covers one carb before I eat a meal??? I have called the hospital and doctors today with no response. My sugar is on a roller coaster not knowing this cover dosage, can someone please help???

Laura

unless you are a very young girlfriend, you don't have type 1, you have type 2. type 2 is adult onset. Type 1 is juvenile onset.

I don't know about dosage levels, but it would seem the doctor would have told you what to take. Have you called the pharmacy?

Pappy

Georgia Hard Hunter

unless you are a very young girlfriend, you don't have type 1, you have type 2. type 2 is adult onset. Type 1 is juvenile onset.

I don't know about dosage levels, but it would seem the doctor would have told you what to take. Have you called the pharmacy?

Pappy

Not entirely true, I was diagnosed with type 1 at 30 years of age. To over simplify, Type 1 is a problem in not producing enough Insulin, Type 2 the body does not recognize or properly respond to the Insulin. Yes the type 1 is more common in young people and usually is treated with diet and Insulin injections.Type 2 is more common in old and or overweight people and is usually treated withg diet and pills. The names can be misleading but ther is no hard and fast rule as to when you contract each type or treatment of each type.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Laura

Laura,

I have had type 2 for about 17 years now and have some understanding. My mother does as well. We both take insulin. Bottom line is your blood sugar is controlled by what you eat. Your A1C (average sugar) will be better if you eat regular meals and dont snack between.

To my knowledge there is not an exact comparison for carbohydrates vs insulin injection. It is as some have stated sort of a trial and error thing. Home Testing will determine what is ideal for you.

High blood sugar (unless it goes very high 500+) does not cause immediate life threatening conditions. It works on your body slowly. Low blood sugar on the other hand can get you into trouble quickly. For me, low is below 70. Until you can determine your proper dosage be sure to keep some carbs in arms reach in case you go low. Too much insulin without adequate food will cause low blood sugar.

Hope this helps.

What does your Novolog label say besides mealtime dosage?

produnker

My formula

I am currently using Medtronic pump. 1 unit per hour
1 unit per every 10 carbs, was 2 per every 15 carbs
1 unit per every 40 points over 100 when checking blood sugar.
Also fatty or greasy foods will cause the insulin to not work as well.
It will take you and a good doctor to get it figured out.
If insured contact them and most will recommend doctors in your area that deal with diabetes. Good Luck and if you have any questions just ask. Ain't nuthin that cant be handled

Artfuldodger

I did read that they are now called Type 1 or Type 2. They are trying to get away from those other misleading names.
Type 2 can be treated with diet and exercise and no insulin. If you don't exercise with type 2 diabetes you have to take pills to help control blood sugar, not insulin. My relatives with type 2 don't exercise at all and must take pills. I'm sure there are some people with type 2 who exercise and still must take pills.

hummdaddy

I did read that they are now called Type 1 or Type 2. They are trying to get away from those other misleading names.
Type 2 can be treated with diet and exercise and no insulin. If you don't exercise with type 2 diabetes you have to take pills to help control blood sugar, not insulin. My relatives with type 2 don't exercise at all and must take pills. I'm sure there are some people with type 2 who exercise and still must take pills.

i'm a type 1 1/2 brittle diabetic :pop:.... that's a type 1 and 2 combined ,with anti-bodies,insulin resistance ,early dawn syndrome,and symogy effect in early a.m....

i can help you with a few things...every diabetic is different ...

a endocrinologist would probably start you on a sliding scale of 1 to 10 ... 1 unit per 10 grams of carbs....check your blood sugars regularly 2 1/2 hours after you eat...if you feel jittery,sweaty,or queasy check your blood(you might be low)if you have headache,blurry vision, cranky,or sleepy(you might be high)

if your sugar is high ,you will pee a lot and your dumping sugars....you need to check yourself for keytones, if you stay high for a period of time bad things can happen...you can get test strips at a local pharmacy...too many keytones is an early sign of going into ketoacidosis or dka ,then possible kidney ,renal failure...

p.s. if u live near macon i suggest the JONE'S CENTER

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Type 2 diabetics many times end up on insulin after some period of years after diet, exercise, and pills no longer are effective.

Latest posts