Persimmons

waddler

Banned
I read where alcohol will take the tannin out of persimmons and stop the astringence. Has anyone ever taken persimmons from the tree and treated them so they would not draw your mouth up? So far I know that drinking the alcohol does not work, however with enough alcohol the effect did not seem so serious.

Also, the article said you could freeze the fruit and then store it in a dry place and the Ethenol or Ethylene Gas or sump'n would cause the Persimmons to ripen. I got tons of persimmons on the trees and would like to harvest them before they fall off. Hoping someone has some experience they will share.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Drying them takes the alum taste away and leaves the sweetness. Just de-seed and chunk into the dehydrator.

waddler

Banned
Drying them takes the alum taste away and leaves the sweetness. Just de-seed and chunk into the dehydrator.

Thanks, soon as this rain stops I am gonna pick some and give 'er a try.

:yeah:

waddler

Banned
you might try putting them in a paper bag with a banana. Suppose to help ripen fruit.

I use to sell Ethrel which is is essentially what ripens fruit. They say other fruit in with the presimmons give off this gas and help ripen them. I speck a banana will help. I need a tobacco farmer to give me a cup of Ethrel to spray in the bag maybe?

drippin' rock

Must be an early season this year. I found ripe, good persimmons 3 weeks ago on the Pine Mountain Trail. Picked a few off the trees near my house that were good already too.

waddler

Banned
Everything seems early. Acorns all over the ground, chestnuts open, pecans shells splitting. We had a great moisture year here, and a good crop of even Pawpaws, wonder if that water mattered?

Any advice on how to handle the Persimmon seeds?

redman2006

Where are you finding Paw Paws? I used to eat them in Kansas, but I had not seen them in GA.

The persimmons seem better after that first light frost. The problem is beating the coons to them.

EDIT One of my favorites that I do not see many eat around here is the purple fruit off of the prickly pears. If you have not tried them, they should be about ripe. They make a great jelly too.

waddler

Banned
Where are you finding Paw Paws? I used to eat them in Kansas, but I had not seen them in GA.

The persimmons seem better after that first light frost. The problem is beating the coons to them.

EDIT One of my favorites that I do not see many eat around here is the purple fruit off of the prickly pears. If you have not tried them, they should be about ripe. They make a great jelly too.

I have a couple of PawPaw trees in the meadow, really shrubs, and one of them was loaded this year. I kept watch on them, but got busy and they all ripened and fell off. I still managed to save about a half cup or so of seed. Put them in the frig (that is what I was told to do) until next year, when I thot I would plant them in pots until they got big enough to transplant.