Poison Ivy

TroutBum95

I was clearing brush bout 2 weekends ago, there was a lot of poison ivy in the brush I was clearing. I still got it on my arm and on my legs. Anyone have any advice on stuff thats works to get rid of it?? I've tried this lotion stuff called Wise Shake that the guys at the Pharmacy mixed up for me and its not workin to well.

littlewolf

It usually clears up within 2-3 weeks. Not much you can do to speed that up other than a steroid shot or oral steroids. I have had it real real real bad a couple times. I hardly ever get it anymore because that stuff looks to me like a flashing neon sign in the woods now.

PappyHoel

Bleach bath or go to the doc and get a cortisone shot. For temp relief take a nice sponge and scratch it inthe shower with blazing hot water.

Last edited:

drippin' rock

It has to run it's course. I have used OTC treatments like Ivy Dry, but other than a little relief from itching, you are stuck.

TroutBum95

Yeah I know what it looks like real well too haha, and I usually steer clear of it, but I had to remove some bushes it was on so I didnt really have a choice.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Try Tecnu Extreme. Follow the instructions.

willc2412

I got poison ivy and put wet dip on it just like id do for a bee sting and what not and sure as the world the itching was eased temporarily.

Wycliff

Take a bath in baking soda with the water so hot it hurts your toes, this is what I have always done. Its usually gone in a couple days.

packrat

soap

I get it bad during trapping season. Other than the shot from the doc and a round of steroids. OCTAGON soap will be your best friend.

Attachments

• soap.jpg
    soap.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 571

rjcruiser

After a hot shower, use a hot hair blow dryer to get it as hot and dry as possible. As long as you can stand. Then spray hairspray on it to seal it. It will last several hours.

georgia_home

See the doc. Steroids. "Triangle pack". I get it bad and this works for me.

I forget the dosage, a dose every 12hrs.

6 first 2doses, then 5x2doses, decreasing by 1pill every other dose until done. If I recall correctly, prednisone.

The cream don't hurt either.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Go to the Doc, get the shot and be done with it.Every time I get it it's progressively worse.Skip all the creams...the steroid shot dries it up quick.

SarahFair

Dab it with bleach or rubbing alcohol if you are on the run..
Or just put a baking soda paste on it or tooth paste with whitening

Wild Turkey

octagon soap wow, havent seen that in 30 yrs.
We used to bait trott lines for catfish with it. We caught 100s of big cats on that stuff.

greg_n_clayton

I get it bad during trapping season. Other than the shot from the doc and a round of steroids. OCTAGON soap will be your best friend.

Where you find OCTAGON soap ??

dick7.62

Like most allergies poison ivy allergy reaction can vary widely in different individuals. What works for me or you may not work for someone else. The simple remedies always worked for me except for 1 time when I used bleach and it got worse. I had to go to the dr. that time and got cortisone tablets which cleared it up. My son has had to get shots numerous times for his poison ivy. Most people can get by with the home remedies but for those extreme cases medical help may be necessary.

packrat

soap

Where you find OCTAGON soap ??

Got mine at Quality Foods Grocery store. They had it marked down on clearance for .38 cents. Bought 20+ bars.
No need for me to stink for a long time.