Planting pecan trees question

bnew17

Im considering planting pecan trees at and around my house. Ive got 3 acres roughly that i can plant trees. Its either planting pecan trees or pine trees. Would it be possible to care for that many trees with no irrigation. The trees would be on my lots on both sides of my house but i have no way to get irrigation out to them. I guess i could fill up 55 gal drums with water on my truck and drive by them and water. Not real knowledgable on pecan trees so i thought i would get input here.

chadf

Once they are established they should be fine, I've neve seen a pecan orchard with irrigation.

Nugefan

pecans need lots of room between trees and you can NOT put the tap root into a " J " position , the tree will die quickly ....

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I'd plant Elliott variety. They will come closest to making a crop of nuts without a spray program. They are small, with one end pointed,have a high oil content. The candy makers love them. Plant them at least 60 feet apart both ways,80 would insure plenty of room for their lifetime. When planting pecan trees you need to make sure they get at least an inch of water immediately around them per week, for a minimum of 2 years. It's all about re establishing a root system. After the root system is established they will start to really grow. Don't cramp the roots when you plant them plant them,dig a much bigger, and deeper hole than you think you need. Keep weeds around trees hoed out,and grass/weeds mowed close. County agent's office has really good pamphlets that you can print on line.

bnew17

Most of the commercial orchards i have seen are irrigated as well. I did go to a friends family orchard the other day that was not irrigated, there were probably 3 dozen trees and its not commercial.

dick7.62

I have family that were once commercial pecan growers and they irrigated all of them. My dad always had a few pecan trees and he always watered them. He made pecans every year. You will make bigger and more consistent crops if you irrigate. Could you run polyethylene pipe to the area? It's fairly cheap.
My dad would tell a story(true) about a garden supply salesman who gave his customers a free bottle of colored liquid to be applied to their pecan trees weekly at the rate of 1 tablespoon with 15 gallons of water. Everyone made big crops and raved about the success of the colored liquid. The colored liquid was food coloring and water and was a gimmick to get them to water weekly. The watering weekly was the reason for the big crops.

chadf

Most pecan orchards are irrigated in south Georgia. The few that aren't don't do nearly as well.

The two I hunt aren't. Guess I need to interview more pecan farmers huh ?:huh:

dwells

The difference between an irrigated pecan tree and one that is not is a big deal. The newer varieties will produce at 6 to 8 years under irrigation, if they are not irrigated it will take 15 to 20 years to really produce. I have a small orchard and during growing season my irrigation runs 4 hours three days a week on young trees. 12 hours a day 4 days week on producing tress. Most all commercial orchards are irrigated, but the lines are underground and cannot be seen.

Last edited:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
About how much should I expect to pay per tree?

$25.oo give or take.
You need to plant 2 verieties for pollenation.
Also need to dig the hole 2 foot deep minimum to keep from J rooting.
Also need to keep all vegetation from around the base for 3-4'
Pecans trees are kind of finicky.