My POV

respro

To those looking through the dog hunting forum but have never done it, here's my take. On Saturday after next I'll be heading down a lond dirt road in Burke county. Out of the pitch black I'll see lights, and then the sound of about 50+ of God's purpose built creations sounding that sweet melody from their kennels. They'll be ready as will I. That sound will move me more than when I heard I love you for the first time. Into the clubhouse to eat breakfast with some of the finest people you'll ever meet. After that the safety meeting and the call for the big doe, big buck contest. 1 dollar each. Minutes later we'll be on the back of the truck heading to our drop off points. By now It'll be shooting light. After the truck leaves it'll be as quiet as a mouse. Be ready for the slipper! I cannot put into words the feeling I get when the first race starts. Nothing like hearing the dogs comming closer. Be ready, she won't be looking for acorns when she shows! This dog hunting may not be for everyone but I believe once experienced it can change minds I suspect.

7Mag Hunter

Not a dog hunter or ever hunted in a dog hunting county
or club......
But.......
We had this Walker Hound that belonged to the caretaker of our
Jones County club that "occasionally" hit the swamps on the
back side of our property and pushed deer....
I loved to hear ole Bubba run those deer....It was very exciting
and you could tell from his "voice" when he was close and
"havin fun"...........
I can easily understand your excitement !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck this season, and we will look for pics...

simpleman30

won't be long now. if it's like most years, our club kennels will have 250+ dogs in them Friday evening! you can't walk out to the truck and grab a beer without the deafening sound of eager hounds barking and howling in anticipation. there's nothing like that feeling of backing up to my pens and my dogs know what time it is, jumping up and down like a puerto rican shortstop. we make the drive down to the club Friday afternoon; unload the dogs, feed them, take the suitcase and gear inside the clubhouse, greet 40 or 50 men and boys on the way in, and just soak it all in. our cook will have a wonderful meal prepared by 7:30 and after that it's stories, lies, liquor drinks, and staying up entirely too late to be getting up so early! not that we'd be able to sleep if we did go to bed at a decent hour.

ylhatch

won't be long now. if it's like most years, our club kennels will have 250+ dogs in them Friday evening! you can't walk out to the truck and grab a beer without the deafening sound of eager hounds barking and howling in anticipation. there's nothing like that feeling of backing up to my pens and my dogs know what time it is, jumping up and down like a puerto rican shortstop. we make the drive down to the club Friday afternoon; unload the dogs, feed them, take the suitcase and gear inside the clubhouse, greet 40 or 50 men and boys on the way in, and just soak it all in. our cook will have a wonderful meal prepared by 7:30 and after that it's stories, lies, liquor drinks, and staying up entirely too late to be getting up so early! not that we'd be able to sleep if we did go to bed at a decent hour.
this is what it's all about:cool:

techfire55

I have got to give this a try. Being a North Georgia boy have never had the chance. If anyone needs company later in the season, let me know.

firewalker78

To those looking through the dog hunting forum but have never done it, here's my take. On Saturday after next I'll be heading down a lond dirt road in Burke county. Out of the pitch black I'll see lights, and then the sound of about 50+ of God's purpose built creations sounding that sweet melody from their kennels. They'll be ready as will I. That sound will move me more than when I heard I love you for the first time. Into the clubhouse to eat breakfast with some of the finest people you'll ever meet. After that the safety meeting and the call for the big doe, big buck contest. 1 dollar each. Minutes later we'll be on the back of the truck heading to our drop off points. By now It'll be shooting light. After the truck leaves it'll be as quiet as a mouse. Be ready for the slipper! I cannot put into words the feeling I get when the first race starts. Nothing like hearing the dogs comming closer. Be ready, she won't be looking for acorns when she shows! This dog hunting may not be for everyone but I believe once experienced it can change minds I suspect.

As soon as I started reading I was wondering if you were in Briar creek, then you confirmed it. I hear ya'll have some really good huntin over there. I worked with Keith "biggun" flowers, we had been trying to get together so I could come hunt with him sometime before he passed. I really hate that he is gone and I never got that chance. Not sure if you knew him or not but he was a great guy and really missed around the firehouse. He had tried to talk me into joining several times but I just could not up root from my dog club family. I have always loved deer doggin and I always will. I CANNOT WAIT!

grouper throat

Ours is a little bit different style. The radio channel will fill with chatter as we track our way around the blocks looking for the best looking buck track... A seasoned trail dog(s) at daylight to sound off in the ditch with plenty of 4 legged help behind him, then hopefully a crack of the rifle across the clear cut as he's trying to slip out ahead of the dogs closing in on him quickly. He's got to come out of bed as he knows what's coming soon. Then " get to 3 and the river road, I missed him and the dogs are chewing on his tail"... That's when the FUN part begins

HOG-HEAD

Will yall just stop , I'm trying to work here..! I can't do anything with visions of deer dogs dancing in my head....ive got all the collars charged , tritronics charged , new batteries in the Garmin , cb hooked up and tuned and the walkie talkies ready.....come on oct 27 ...all I have to do is load up on snacks , drinks and buckshot.....the I get to hear old highball burn one up on the duckroost......wooohhoooo

georgia_home

I hope this is an invitation! ;)

Lsp35

Hey guys I'm president of 2 clubs in panama city area we have 65000 acres if any of you boys get down our way give me a call and come hunt with us for a day 850)527-1159 Steve

Mako22

BANNED
Gave my pack away ten years ago this July and have missed it ever since. I didn't even care if I killed a deer just as long as I got to hear them hounds pushing one my way.......nothing like it in the world, just pure FUN!

j_seph

Thanks to hog head I git to experience this last year and it's a rush. You sit in a stand up here in N GA. And hear a deer walking and get anxious. What is it, where will it come out at, when and will it come out. You get in the woods with those hounds the above anticipation is multipled. You hear hounds a barking, you can tell which way there going. You start anticipating when if, and where it will pop out at. Loved it and never fired a shot.

simpleman30

all you boys wanting to participate, all you have to do is PM me or any of the others on here if you want an invite. different clubs hunt deer with dogs many different ways. some folks run and gun; some make a drive or 2 a day and you stay on the stand all day; others are super organized and make 4-5 drives in a day. some clubs let folks pick their stands. other clubs have members draw numbers for stands and dog-turnout spots. at portal hunting club, we draw for stands and dog-turnouts, so it's the luck of the draw. either way, you're guaranteed that the stand you draw is a good one if a deer crosses there! we also make 5-6 drives a day. if we haven't jumped within 30-45 minutes, we head back to the clubhouse and draw up another hunt. if anyone is willing to make the trip down to SE GA to see what deer-dog hunting's all about, send me a PM.

it ain't about the kill, it's about the hunt.

flhunter82

Like ole grouper throat said, we do it a little different round here, But yall come on and get on the box anytime you want to. Just be ready to shoot quick or lose a shirt tail( my antenna has 4 on it so far this season)