ac not working

kgo

Hay folks I need some help with my ac. Outside unit fan is humming but not turning fan spins freely,something else is also humming but it starts humming and then stops over and over. Im thinking capasitor. thanks K

hobbs27

Just guessing, but that other hum is your compressor cycling on thermal overload....could be fan cap, or fan motor, usually you can get fan to run byspinning it when cap is bad.
I would not let it cycle long on thermal.

kgo

left it off all day and was still cycling like that if it was fan would compressor run til hot

hobbs27

left it off all day and was still cycling like that if it was fan would compressor run til hot

Yes.not sure what your abilities are, but the way to check that cap, would be to remove wires from it, and ohm between fan terminal and common, then reverse leads, you want to see that needle jump up and slowly fall each time you reverse leads....an obvious way also would to see if the cap appears to be swelled....you can also give the fan a spin with power on, watch your fingers though.

PappyHoel

Same thing happen to me, ended up replacing the compressor.

basstrkr

Ac

The most likely cause is the capacitor. A new one should be less that $25. Shut off power, draw the wiring , take a picture , and change it out. If it is not the cap. you ain't out much money,if it's something more you most likely will need professional help.

bamaboy

Yes.not sure what your abilities are, but the way to check that cap, would be to remove wires from it, and ohm between fan terminal and common, then reverse leads, you want to see that needle jump up and slowly fall each time you reverse leads....an obvious way also would to see if the cap appears to be swelled....you can also give the fan a spin with power on, watch your fingers though.

Yes this^^^^^ or you can check it with a capacitor tester,you can pick one up at your local a/c shop or appliance shop or find one you can borrow from someone. Sounds like a fan motor or capacitor to me,most compressors have a thermal overload that will shut it off to protect it from burning up. The #1 rule in A/C work is cut it off till you can fix it and turn it back on. If you keep on/off on/off you will replace the compressor if not the whole unit. Turn it off and leave it off till you or someone can determine the problem and fix it. Good Luck!!! Keep us updated and ask more questions if you need to.

bamaboy