oil rig

KissMyBass

I am in my senior year and im looking into potential jobs to see what i need to major in. Oil rigs caught my eye. Drilling consultant especially. I know oil rigs are hard work and all but I don't mind working hard for a big salary like that. so my question is does anybody know anything about it? or other jobs that pay well? ( I am a smart kid and can get into colleges) so if you know what degrees that is helpful too.

greg_n_clayton

There are some pretty interesting comments left there as well !! I got a couple of buddies that work down there on boats that take supplies to the oil rigs. They seem comfortable with their work. Don't get home much, but they ain't in the "danger" zone either.

Gaducker

Thats why gas is so high.

TJay

I used to live in Louisiana and knew quite a few guys that worked offshore. It is hard work but the money is good and most of them seemed to like what they did. Twelve hour shifts were the norm and usually there is plenty of overtime if you want it. The downside is that the 2 weeks on/2 weeks off routine is hard on a marriage. You may not be married now but you probably will be at some point. All travel time comes off your end, driving to the coast and time spent on a crew boat or helicopter comes out of your off time. And you usually lose a day of your off time catching up on sleep. That being said, not a bad life for a young single guy.

tad1

I'll echo what Tjay said bout family life and scheduling demands. It does seem like it would be pretty interesting work but unless you plan on being a bachelor I think it'd be he'll on a relationship especially if kids come in the picture. Whatever you do, try and put yourself in an in-demand field keeping in mind that schedule and lifestyle is important no matter how much $$ you make.
A fella who is a certified ship captain and worked primarily on oil rig transport is coming to work w us now as a PA.

ryanh487

If you're smart and fresh out of high school, and can manage to make close to 6 figures, spend 5-10 years working and setting aside 75-85% of your income and investing it. You'll be able to retire to a lower-middle class lifestyle by the time you're 30--have enough cash for a decent house and raise a family and go hunting all the time.

huntfish

If you want to go to college, look at Petro Geo or Eng as a study field. I have a couple of friends who logged exploratory wells. As a result, they also get royalty checks every quarter based on well production.