Where to live and work in GA

Lonesome00

It looks like we are going to have to stay in GA, now the question is where? I have researched just about every county in this state and still have no real plan on where to move to. I know I want to gte as far north as possible, but some areas in south GA look good to. There are several border counties that I like quite a bit as well. I was hoping some of you could help me narrow down my search. These are the things we are looking for.

1. Reasonable cost of living
2. Very rural (but am willing to work in the city)
3. Access to off road trails preferably on public land
4. Access to good hunting and fishing areas
5. Reasonable land costs
6. Good schools
7. And did I mention rural?

Not necessarily in that order, but that is what we are looking for. Because I am planning a career change hopefully soon, I am pretty flexible on drive time from work and home. But my wife has to be with in a reasonable driving distanced from a hospital for her job. If Please feel free to share any information that may help narrow this search.

rawolfee

I'll be the first to pitch my county.

I know you said you'd like to move north, but think you should consider Bulloch County. We moved here about 6 years ago and have never regretted it. The school system is great (especially SE Bulloch). Savannah (30-60min. away depending on location) has plenty of hospitals and also Statesboro has a small one as well. As for hunting, Ft. Stewart is very close and has lots of opportunity for hunting and fishing.

westcobbdog

see if you can find the Atlanta Business Chronicle school report for 2011 ( no 12' yet ) the better schools around Metro Atl don't really fit your "country" request. But there are many good school systems here in Ga., its the bad ones that drag our scores down.

Living Proof

I would have to say Fayette or Coweta. Several new hospitals, good schools, now is the time to buy in these counties. You can get lots from 1 ac. to 40 ac.. Both close to the interstate. my $.02
LP

ryanh487

Good schools and rural areas in Georgia are polar opposites. I recommend a good homeschool program if private school is out of the budget. The Cartersville, Calhoun and Rome areas have pretty rural surroundings but are relatively close to modern conveniences and workplaces (as in within 30-45 minutes of a larger city) and the cost of living is relatively cheap compared to closer to the metro area.

Lonesome00

Those are all counties I have looked at. The bad hting is they all have good things about them that we like. The bad thing is they all have good things about them we liked. This is a real tough choice becuase i do not want to move again. I have found some counties have good shcools and rural areas as well. They are just tough to find. We do not mind living on the deg of a county so we can work in the other.

Lonesome00

There is some good information in that thread. I am focussed on north GA as well. But I am also open to other areas.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
There is some good information in that thread. I am focussed on north GA as well. But I am also open to other areas.

You noticed in that thread I recommended Oconee County Ga. We have a very active SCV group in the Athens/Watkinsville area in case you are looking to include that in your search. (your avatar made me mention that)

Lonesome00

I was just talking to some one about Oconee. I would love to live some where with an active SCV unit. Since we moved to GA I have not been that active.

Darien1

Hancock County and Sparta a very rural but my advice is to stay away. This is the most backward, corrupt county in the state. We have the highest taxes and worst schools too.

marktaylor99

Lonesome00, off topic but I just sent you a message about our SCV camp (Gen Benning- #517) in Columbus. We'd love to have you at a meeting.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Lonesome00, off topic but I just sent you a message about our SCV camp (Gen Benning- #517) in Columbus. We'd love to have you at a meeting.

Thanks for the invite. I was told there was no Camp here.

Hey Mark,
You recruit him and get him settled in and we can transfer him to camp 97 when he moves this way ;)

hiawassee1

Im not sure what your wife does at the hospital, but my wife is a Physical Therapist, and she got into Home Health with a company called Tugaloo Amedysis, and she absolutely loves it. Very flexible, and home health pays better than hospitals, of course that can change if Obama stays in, but so could the hospitals. And I am sure there is home health companies just about anywhere. They are always looking up this way. Just food for thought for your new venture.

Lonesome00

I agree, a hospital is just a fail safe right now. She is going to nursing school so we assume she will start off in a hospital. That could change but if there is one in the area we are moving to we know she at least can work there.

SarahFair

Oconee County or Walton.

Athens is about to open a Cat plant that will employ more than 4k jobs before it is all said and done.
Athen and Monroe both have hospitals.

They are about to extend 138 here in Monroe and there is talk of a YMCA and I can imagine a lot of other businesses..

I am happy with the schools my sons attend, and have heard good things about Oconee schools as well.

We want to move and if we cant find in Monroe, we have talked about Watkinsville (we live a rock throw from there anyways)