Savannah River Site 6pt 11/10/2012

jdk3

I went to the Savannah River Site in Aiken S.C. today. I drew the worst stand as far as being able to see that I have ever drawn. I was in a "hole" basically. It was uphill in every direction you looked and between 2 curves, and the woods were thick. You are only allowed to move 20yds in any direction of your stand, so I took advantage of this and was able to see around one of the curves about 80 yds. A little after the hunt started, a pack of dogs were burning a deer up and heading my way. A big doe shot across the road almost as far as I could see and I shot once as she crossed and once as she went through the thicket. My buddy happened to be on a powerline directly behind me. He said she crossed running wide open.
A little after 11:00, I heard a pack coming from my left. I moved the 20 yds in that direction, and could see up the road and into the curve about 50 yds. As the dogs were getting closer, I heard a deer coming. I caught a flash of sunlight off his antlers as he was coming at me at a 45 degree angle. I put the bead on his chest and fired. I hit him, but he kept coming. My second shot started him down, and my third put him on his side and he slid into a heap in the edge of the road.The shot was about 35-40yds.
He was a 3 1/2 year old 6pt that weighed 149lbs.
SRS2012016-2.jpg