Computer Question - icons

Oddball

I have a shortcut to the GON forums on my desktop (Windows XP) and the icon was of course the GON logo of the state outline with GON across it. However, the other day I had two windows open, GON and the Academy Sports website. When I closed them both out my GON icon had changed to the Academy logo of a white square with a blue A with a red semicircle around it. I did not try to make a shortcut to Academy, it just changed from one icon to the other and I cannot get it to change back. Any idea how I get the GON icon back? I tried deleteing the shortcut and creating a new one, but it still uses the Academy logo as the icon. Somehow my computer has associated the Academy logo with GON and uses that logo for the GON icon. I can't find either icon saved anywhere in my computer, so I just don't get it. I've had this happen before with various shortcuts, but the icons have always just as mysteriously changed back on their own after a few days or months.

ChiefOsceola

Right click on the shortcut, go to properties, then click the tab at the top that says "shortcut", then the button that says "change icon". When you click that, the GON logo should be one of the ones listed. If not, save the GON logo from somewhere (by right clicking, save picture as), remember where you saved it, and browse when back in the "change logo" feature and pick the GON logo you saved.

Oddball

Thanks Chief, love the avitar BTW. Its not saved under the change icon list, I already looked there, but neither is the Academy logo, and its obviously on my computer somewhere. I did what you said and saved the GON logo as a bitmap. My comp only gives me the option of saving as .gif or bitmap, and .gif didn't work. I can actually change the icon this way, but it saves the entire logo, the state silhouette with GON across it and also the banner aatached to it that spells out Georgia Outdoor News. My previous shortcut icon was just the state silhouette with GON. It also squishes the new one so much to make it such a small pic that if I didn't know what it was supposed to be I wouldn't be able to discern it.

ChiefOsceola

Try this one Odd. Just right click and save it.

Attachments

• GON logo.jpg
    GON logo.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 507

Oddball

Much better, thanks. All very strange. I noticed after posting this that my shortcut icon for the US Postal Service website had changed to a generic windows icon that looks like a sheet of paper with a blue "e" on it. I went to the website and created a new shortcut and it used the correct USPS icon for that one. That obviously didn't work with GON. Danged computers!! :)