PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Point is this?

MossyOak
08-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Ok, sad but true story on this point I found in my dad's back yard lastyear on Lake George, Salt Springs, Fla, while showing him how my metal detector could fine all those bottle caps & coins he hid for me.
While I was showing him what was a penny, a nickel, a quarter, I was digging a small hole when I heard a click with my shovel, as I looked down in the hole I about cried, the shovel had broke this once perfect point in half.
So I glued it together with super glue and it now sits on my mantle to remind me you never know what you will find while digging..
:cry:

Mossy

Super Dave
08-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Man that is a huge arrowhead. Nice find. You have my luck when it comes to breaking something like that.

Nicodemus
08-03-2006, 05:22 PM
That is an absolute KILLER of an Arredondo! Archaic, around 5,000 years old. Congrats on a beauty!

Just out of curiousity, how deep under the surface was it?

Nicodemus
08-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Mossy, there`s a good chance there are more around where that one came from. It was a big spear point or knife blade, probably both.

MossyOak
08-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Can you believe it was only 1 foot deep, my dad moved some top soil around so who knows..
how old is this thing?? and what exactly is it?
what is it worth?

Al33
08-03-2006, 06:37 PM
The Arrendondo is shown here. Click on the 4th pic' as you scroll down in the A-H category.
http://www.artifactsguide.com/artiguide.htm

Great find. Sorry you broke it but you did a good repair job.

MossyOak
08-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Just my luck, worth over $1000 and now probally acouple hundred, anyone know if anybody who collects these points even if their broke ?
It suprises me that something over 5000 years old still looks this good..
Since I dont collect points it might look good in someones display, I'd be willing to sell it..

Mossy

Handgunner
08-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Breaks my heart just knowing you broke it!

Nice find! Forget selling it. Keep it and know that you have the ONLY one like it in this world.

ramsey
08-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Not a great picture but the artifact appears to have a polished sheen I have seen on very old points I have found on sandbars along creeks and rivers. It may have been brought it with fill dirt or washed in to your property. Also may be a ceremomial artifact from a burial. Many of those were broken before being placed with the body. :cheers:

Auchumpkee Creek Assassin
08-04-2006, 07:43 AM
nice find