A Doghunters Tale

Dreamer69

Pull up a chair this might be a while. I have been looking on this post for quite some time and would just like to tell you all a story about how I loved the sport of dog hunting. I will try to avoid names and clubs and much as possible.
When I was 12 years old my dad used to go dog hunting without me till the last day of season he ask me to go with him. Now let you all know my dad is deaf. He cannot hear but he can see. I was so excited to go with him for the last day of deer season. He belonged to a dog club in Bulloch county right on the Ogeechee River. That is a hunt I will never forget. I fell asleep when the dogs were running then to be woke up when the dogs passed and my dad was looking the wrong way. But i told him what happened and listened to the sweet music.. That day I know of one deer killed and it was a 28 point buck.. Know no one will believe me but I promise you it was. Anyway the club dues were 25 dollars a year, and it was 2 bucks and 1 doe limit.. We couldnt kill does only bucks.
The following year I was hooked and went with my dad every saturday. Got my first shotgun and killed my first deer that year. I have been hooked since then. My dad and I had such wonderful fellowship and we had Thanksgiving hunts and the families got together and cooked. Every year around this time (Thanksgiving) this club comes to mind and I think about the fellowship and good times we all had. Even my dad who was deaf I would interpret for him and he would always rely on me to let him know when the dogs are coming.
I have sinced joined other clubs in Jenkins county and Screven county before it was just too much for me to afford the prices of clubs.. I have tried to still hunt some but its just not the same.. So have basically given up hunting. To all of you out there that has never tried it, try it just once. If there any clubs out there that still does it the way I was brought up doing it keep it up. I am only 43 years old now so all the clubs that I used to be in have died down or lost the land.. Other clubs I was a member of we also hunted the holidays and it was fun. I miss it and it is always stuck in my heart forever. I have moved from dog hunting country for to better myself in the job industry. Took up fishing more now and a little bit of rabbit hunting. But the deer dogging will stay in my heart forever and the clubs I was a member of also.. Happy Doggin Yall. :cool:

Nimrod71

My first time deer hunting was in 1964 at East Side Hunting Club at Townson Ga. I had never hunted with dogs and I saw my first deer. I was hooked. I miss it too.

jdk3

I was brought up in a dog club in South Carolina. I would go with my paw paw and sit on stand with him every chance I got. I remember falling asleep on his old hunting coat and him telling me how scared he was that I was gonna wake up and turn the deer at the last minute. He would always laugh when he told me that. I remember how we would stop by an old wood floored country store on our way home and get a big slice of hoop cheese, some saltines, and a coke.
When I was old enough to get my own shotgun and take my own stand, I killed my first buck. It was a spike with a broken horn. My paw paw was grinning ear to ear as he bloodied my face. It was in September and very hot, and I had to wear it until the older members told me to wash it off. As paw paw hand pumped the old well for me to wash, he told me how proud he was of me and that I was now a full member and a man in his eyes.
We hunted together for many years, but he has now gone on. I'll never forget him or the values his instilled in me. I miss deer doggin' but I try to go at least once a year. Unless you've done it, you can't know how it gets in your blood and stays.

Dreamer69

jdk3, My first one was also a spike and I thought that was a monster. I also forgot to add that I took all 3 of my kids dog hunting also.. Toted every one in a baby carrier when they was little. They loved it too.