Making cane syrup ?

bnew17

Could you use the rounded end of a 250/500 gallon propane take to boil the juice in to make the syrup? Most of what i read is people using a cast iron pot with a lip on the edge at the top. Just wondering if there is another way to do it. This would be geared more towards the recreational maker and not commercial.

BriarPatch99

The lip serves as an area that the "skimmings" gathers on so you can wipe with a rag to get the "trash" out of the juice... you'll need a "skimmer" and "dipper"

We used a iron wagon rim and set it on top of the 60 gal kettle ... the juice boiled up and over the rim and ran back under the rim back into the kettle .... leaving the "trash" on the lip.

If you could add a lip to the tank end about 4" down ... cut some slots for the juice to flow back into the tank...

I'll see if I can find some photos to show the setup...

Artfuldodger

The lip serves as an area that the "skimmings" gathers on so you can wipe with a rag to get the "trash" out of the juice... you'll need a "skimmer" and "dipper"

We used a iron wagon rim and set it on top of the 60 gal kettle ... the juice boiled up and over the rim and ran back under the rim back into the kettle .... leaving the "trash" on the lip.

If you could add a lip to the tank end about 4" down ... cut some slots for the juice to flow back into the tank...

I'll see if I can find some photos to show the setup...

You still makin' syrup?

Artfuldodger

Not anymore .... but I made more than my share!!

Dad sold the place along with all the syrup equipment..

You sure did, I can attest to that. A couple of questions, what type of cane did ya'll grow? What was the level of cane juice in the kettle required to make it boil over? I know it's all a learned art but just a general level? If bnew17 was going to make his own kettle, he might need to know how to fill it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The answer is yes. My Grandfather made syrup in a welded up flat bottomed pan with a 6 inch wall around it. It fit on top of a fire pit similar to a barbque pit.

I have made a little syrup on top of the stove in a boiler.

Redbow

I do love Cane syrup I used to help a man make it when I was a teen-ager...One thing you do not want to do is scorch the syrup when cooking it...If you do IMO its not worth feeding to the Hogs...MY wife's Uncle used to travel and he brought me a quart one time from South Georgia..I took the lid off the jar and smelled it, yep it was scorched..Never did tell her Uncle the syrup wasn't fit to eat...

BriarPatch99

Scorched ain't fit for nothing except to be sticky!!

Don't put any ammonium nitrate to the cane when growing either ... it'll make the syrup saltly tasting...

We put 55 gals in a 60 gal kettle... so almost to the top(kettle), but below the wagon rim....

We had regular sugar cane, Red Ribbon, POJ, Green Gov. cane and some others that I can't think of the names...

bnew17

Thanks guys. I have been looking for more information online on making syrup but havent found much. I wonder if theres a way to weld or fabricate a crude way to get the juice out of the sugar cane. Ive got a good bit of 4 " steel pipe laying around the house that could be rollers.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Enjoyed the links, I can remember seeing a few mule powered cane mills. I would assume the same mills were converted to tractor powered or other engines. I like those old "Hit & miss" engines.

bnew17

Good reads Briar. Thanks. If I could find a set of gears to use with the 4-6" pipe I think I might could put together something that would get the juice out of the cane

BriarPatch99

You may be able to come up with something workable ... do take note that even the smallest of the "old" mills use massive rollers ..

You may be able to locate some old industrial "rollers" that may work also...

The old Chattanooga mill that we once owned ... had three rollers ... two were grooved with small grooves and the third had scalloped type roller... I believe the third roller was to pull the pressed cane stalk off the other rollers ...

dick7.62

I built a 2 roller cane mill with horizontal rollers. It has 8" solid steel rollers and is driven by an electric motor. I built it so I could make a little juice just for myself. I once made 1 quart of syrup on the stove. It was as good as I have ever eaten. I have lost my seed cane and need to get more.

Artfuldodger

You may be able to come up with something workable ... do take note that even the smallest of the "old" mills use massive rollers ..

You may be able to locate some old industrial "rollers" that may work also...

The old Chattanooga mill that we once owned ... had three rollers ... two were grooved with small grooves and the third had scalloped type roller... I believe the third roller was to pull the pressed cane stalk off the other rollers ...

I always liked your syrup, and I like to chew cane, but I never liked just drinking a glass of cane juice. Now that you are into fermenting, if you still had the mill and a still!:cheers:

BriarPatch99

My spirits come from grapes!!

Grandpaw's half brother would ferment the "skimmings" ....

He got drunk and passed out on the front porch of the old house...

Some of my cousins nailed his shirt sleeves and britches legs down to the porch with roofing tacks... when he sobered up .. he commenced to holler quite loud! Grandmaw had to get the hammer and pull the tacks so he could get up !! He did get drunk many more times ... he would pass out in the 'baccer barn.... some them same cousins locked the door and he had to climb out through the pigeon roost door to get out ....

Davis31052

Enjoyed the links, I can remember seeing a few mule powered cane mills. I would assume the same mills were converted to tractor powered or other engines. I like those old "Hit & miss" engines.

Back in the mid to late 70's my granddad made cane syrup down in Chester Georgia. He used his wizard lawnmower to run the cane grinder. He'd run it around and get the circle right, then wire the steering wheel in place and let it run. Sometimes he'd be out there till midnight dipping the skimming’s.

I never acquired a taste for his homemade version. I liked the store bought stuff better.