Votes: 2 3.0%
  • 243 win.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • 7mm-08

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters

deerhunter270

Favorite Deer Caliber

What is your favorite caliber and why. Mine is the 270 because it is accurate and doesn't have a lot of kick.

Last edited:

DaddyPaul

I too favor the .270 Winchester. .30-06 is also a really good, popular deer round and I have taken quite a few whitetails with both but have shot the .270 pretty exclusively for about 8 years now. Seems like stuff just dies real fast for me with the .270.

NotaVegetarian

Did not vote. I like all of them in .30 caliber and larger. The two I have been hunting mostly with lately are 300 magnums a 300 Weatherby, and the 300 RUM.

hnter270

.270 because at the club i hunt in anything over that is just completely over kill. i love my savage indian 270

NotaVegetarian

hnter270 said:
.270 because at the club i hunt in anything over that is just completely over kill.

A Marine Col once told me there was no such thing as too much gun; it was perfectly acceptable to smash a fly with a sledgehammer.

Buzz

NotaVegetarian said:
A Marine Col once told me there was no such thing as too much gun; it was perfectly acceptable to smash a fly with a sledgehammer.

There is also the saying "there is only one kind of dead, there are lots of different kinds of wounded." I am not saying that a magnum is going to kill deer any more dead - but it's not going to kill them any less dead either.

The truth to deerhunter270's poll is that if you removed the .243 Winchester from the list there isn't $0.02 worth of difference in deer killing power between all the cartridges at the ranges most Georgia hunters take shots.

dbodkin

How did Randy (Mr 7mm08) miss this thread.. You there brother??? ::ke:

NotaVegetarian

:flag:
Rifle cartridges are like cars and trucks everybody has a favorite and each has reasons why one is better than the other. Lets tell the truth, shot placement is the key even with the magnums. A poorly place shot with any caliber can, will, and has resulted in lost game.

My favorites are .308 and up. Don’t think I don’t shoot smaller stuff too. I have a safe loaded with tools, and looking for more. I am not specific to only one brand of firearm, or cartridge I like them all, and have one from just about every major name, and some off brands too in a variety of calibers and gauges.

I enjoy the shooting sports we have and are free to enjoy in our great country. From 22 target to skeet and trap, and long range high powered rifle.

Brands of firearms, types and styles differ so everyone can have an opportunity to shoot what they want. Your are free to choose what you hunt with and Georgia has some of the most liberal laws. It could be like Illinois, and you could be limited to only a bow, shotgun, or muzzleloader, and limited to the type of ammunitions used.
:flag:

Randy

Just found it. I kind of like the 7mm-08 the best? ::huh: