300 Wsm

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
Who has this caliber? How has it performed on deer? I shot three last year and two fell right there and one had to be shot again cause I rushed my shot and shot high. I am shooting handloaded Nosler 165 grain Ballistic tips.

Robert

Muygrande

I have it in the Win Model 70 Coyote, shoots factory ammo terrible!! Shoots 4 handloaded 150gr SST's @3370 fps into 3/8" groups and is absolutely deadly!! Headshots look like melons exploding!! Three deer shot broadside fell dead in their tracks. One at 120 yards, one at 230, and one at 438 yards, all crushed like a handful of leaves!!

Great Rig enjoy it!

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
How high did you hold at 400 yards. I knew the drop was small but that is a heck of a shot. I dont care if it was from a bench, that is a long way. I guess you like the SST's huh?

Muygrande

Robert, I guess I really do like the SST but it came out of an accuracy issue more than just bullet choice. In my 7mm WBY and my (3) .300's the SST shoots best. Below 7mm though I can make the Ballistic Tip shoot best out of my .25-06's, .260, 6.71 Phantom and .270 Win and Wby mag. If you'll get RCBS LOAD you can dial in any load real close and know what to expect when you actually test them at those ranges. Sighted in 3" high at 100yards my rifle has a Max Point Blank Range of 370 yards. With a 310 yard zero. I held on the deers back cause I had already Lasered it and it middle ways into the shoulder, blowing it up and taking the heart and front of the lungs out. The shot was oon a neat little gas line on a small piece of property I have back in Americus GA. GrandSlamHunter actually bought the stand I shot her out of back in July before I moved he can tell you what the gas line looks like!! :D Hopefully THUNDER and my brother will wreak havoc on them this year since I can't help. :(

RamblinWreck

I bought a Win Model 70 Stainless Classic in 300 WSM. My 'smith is truing the receiver and mounting a medium sporter Harris barrel for me. I have a McMillan stock on order and will bed the action and finish it myself.

I hope to shoot an elk with it this year, and will probably use it on whitetails at a farm I hunt that offers some long "beanfield" shots.

Schulze

robert be carefull with the nickle brass. You cant trim it and it does not have the same spring back chracteristics as reg brass.

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I had heard that so I just shoot them about twice and chunk them. Found someone that shoots a lot of factory and gives them to me. I have to use nickle cause it looks so good with that ballistic silvertip sticking out of it. :D Robert

Schulze

lol. I go for the low flash unclean brass lol

Hunter Haven

I can vouch for this gun myself. I bought the Remington Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Model 700 BDL stainless 300 Rem. Short Action Magnum last year and absolutely love this gun. It has a synthetic stock with the Realtree Hardwoods camo. It also has a RMEF seal on it too. Since it is stainless, I chose to put a stainless Leupold Vari-XIII 6.5-20 x 40 scope on it. I took this gun to the range and zeroed it in at 200 yards. Man, did I say that I love this gun??? IT IS AWESOME in my opinion. :shoot: :cool: :shoot:

Muygrande

Ballistics are real similar Hunterhaven but the WSM has grabbed a toe hold where as the RSAUM will probably die out simply because they were last and Winchester is really promoting their cartridges!

That being said I advise anyone that buy's a newly developed cartridge to buy the dies for it cause you never know!! :confused:

Hawg

Banned
300wsm

I shoot an Browning A-Bolt Madallion 300wsm (180grain Win.X power point) and love it. I wouldnt suggest shooting a small deer with it, though it did an excellent job on a 12 point I killed last Dec. The recoil isnt that bad but its got a loud bark to it. Im well satisfied with it and look forward to hunting with it for the next 5-10 years. :cool: