.257 Weatherby Mag.

hpostelle

I am considering purchasing a .257 Weatherby Mag for myself this coming off season. Does anyone have any comments on this caliber.

QuakerBoy

Dawn2Dusk said:
Ammo is as HIGH as a GEE-RAFS butt but if you reload you can help yourself out...

Even the brass is pricy.

Seems to be a good cal for deer, hogs, and large varmints.

georgiaboy

Very interesting caliber IMO. I wouldn't mind having one at all. I bet it is a heck of a fun "plinker".

Larry Rooks

There is nothign wrong with the 257 Weatherby for deer except the cost of ammo. The gun is a great performer at long range and not hammer your shoulder when doing it. I would reccomend that if you buy one, and do enough shooting to use more than a box or two of ammo a year, I would handload or get a buddy of mine that does handload to do the ammo. Each rifle has a certain bullet/powder combination that it will shoot best, spend a little time and find that combination and load for it. You will be satisfied with the performance

Muygrande

200fps faster than the .25-06!!! Can't be anything but awesome!! I have several WBY MAGS and hand load for all except my 300WBY, have all the stuff, it just shoots so well I hadn't needed to with the lack of range time she gets. When she comes out something gets a ride in the truck!! :shoot:

Georgia Boy, she ain't no plinker! Way to hot for that, 2500 rounds is taking good care of her! The average guy is going to get 2000 shots out of one! :eek:

georgiaboy

That is exactly why that cartridge would be a good plinker. I think my idea of plinking might be different than most, ha ha. :shoot: ;) I would be willing to bet that you are right on the barrel life, throat erosion is probably going to be kind of fast. Good news is that most folks never shoot that many rounds in a lifetime.

Last edited:

LKennamer

Good one

My uncle has worked up several 257 mags for hunting as well as 'plinking.' It's kind of hard to think of a gun with a boom that big as a plinker, although it is very accurate and very fast. I've seen what it does to WT deer both live and on video, and it is impressive. The two recommendations I would have is that reloading will make a huge difference in performance and you might want to invest in an electronic bore cleaner. I don't know if it is the high pressures or what, but I've seen them cleaned thoroughly using standard methods, then hooked up to an electronic cleaner and seen even more copper removed from the lans and grooves. It is sure fun to shoot and it doesn't kick as much as my 270 Wthby Mag, except in the ultralight models. I'd recommend it.