Water softener question - stained water

egomaniac247

Just moved into our home in October and we've never had a water softener system.

In the past 3 days our water has turned stained with what looks like rust.

I realized I hadn't checked the softener tank since we bought the house so I went down to look and I am guilty of letting the salt get way too low (in comparison to where it was when we bought the house)

I refilled the salt and then filled up the tub to turn over the water that was in the hot water heater that may have already gotten by the softener.

Should it eventually turn back to clear water or did I screw something up?

I know nothing of water softener systems and how they work.

Napi

For what it's worth, we have a water softener and still have stains from water. The color is a pinkish orange that sorta looks like rust, but wipes right off. I was told it was from manganese? The softener works great though! No more hard water stains on dishes, shower doors or vehicles.

egomaniac247

Thanks for the feedback Napi.

Ours is suddenly changed so something has changed in our water system. I let the salt get low so I thought it was that but I've since filled it and it's almost 2 weeks later and still our water is rusty colored.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Wouldn't hurt to put a lil Clorox in the softner tank. Like a half a cup full.

I've been having problems with my H2O softner off and on for awhile, can't figure it out ???

Napi

Thanks for the feedback Napi.

Ours is suddenly changed so something has changed in our water system. I let the salt get low so I thought it was that but I've since filled it and it's almost 2 weeks later and still our water is rusty colored.

Do you have an outside spigot that is not hooked to the softener? If so, what does water look like there? Need to know if it's coming from the source or the softener. My plumber has all outside spigots straight from the well and one in the garage out of the softener for washing vehicles.

When we first turned ours on the water looked like coffee. Still not sure what that was? We let it run a while and it cleared up.

egomaniac247

Well, I thought I had an "a-ha!" moment today because I filled up the tub with cold water and the water was clear.....then I filled it with hot water and I had stained water.

So I thought okay - maybe there's rust in the hot water heater (gas)...

But then it dawned on me that this would not explain why I have rust colored water in the toilets. The toilets would not be plumbed into the hot water lines.

So I'm back to being confused again.

Bow Only

The stains are from too much iron in your water. I have some of the best well water anywhere, but it took a chlorinator, dechlorinator, a filter, and a water softener to do it. I've got my own water treatment plant.

FYI, anyone who is on well water and has kidney stones should get a water softener.

grif

Softening won't do anything for iron. The discoloration is not harmful, only aesthetically displeasing. A chlorinator will take care of the iron. Keep the residual chlorine concentration <1 ppm and you'll never notice it's there.

River Rambler

It's due to the iron content. You can buy salt that assists in clearing iron out...I think it's called "Iron Out", haha.

I use an acid filter tied in with my softener and the acid filter neutralizes acidic water and also manages the iron. Very important not to let the media get too low in the acid filter. There are iron filters, sediment filters, and everything else under the sun, but this combination works well for me. You can get a reburbished one for about $600 installed.
PM me if you need a contact #.

egomaniac247

Thanks guys. I just don't understand why it happened all of the sudden. Like I said, we moved here in October and it just started in the past 2 weeks.

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
X2 on the backwash. I backwash mine once a month for 15 minutes.

egomaniac247

Thanks - is the backwash the same as a "recharge"?

Or is a recharge just filling the brine tank back up with water?

This thing confuses me. Not sure how to do a backflush.

Backlasher82

Don't know if this will help because I don't have a water softener but I am on a well and I did have stained water. I got a whole house filter from Home Depot and installed it on the water main line. I have to change the filter when it starts getting clogged but my water cleared right up.

egomaniac247

Thanks Backlasher, we're considering that too. We have a filer on our tap water at the sink and it completely removes all the tint and smell.....so thinking of putting one at the main.

Napi

Ekim22, if I'm understanding you correctly, your water is tinted a rust color, not just stains on fixtures. What is your water source, well or other? Did you try what I asked earlier about a sample from before the softener? What does that look like? We need to know if it's coming from the softener or the water supply. Also, what brand and type water softener do you have? Go to the mfg website or just google and find a manual for your softener.

Lowjack

I sold for Culligan for Many years , Iron stains won't be removed by water softner alone , you need and iron removing filter as well as a clorinator, not too expensive and you can pay montly $15-25 a month.

watermedic

The salt oxidizes the Iron and allows it to be filtered out. Same with the manganese. Chlorine does this more effectively but still has to be done before filtration.

You may be able to use a replaceable cartridge type filter depending on how much Iron/Manganese you have.

egomaniac247

A little background, we live directly on the Mississippi river and have a deep narrow well....so with the river not more than 50 yards away, the water is definitely rich in minerals.

We did water testing prior to the purchase but all we looked for was the safety of drinking the water (bacteria, collera, however you spell it).

What baffles me about the rusty color water (not rust stains...the actual water) is that we went from October through December without problems. It just happened suddenly.

Our softener is a EcoSystem 3000 series. As I mentioned earlier, I let the salt get low (forgot to check it) and it was down to about the bottom 10th of the softener.....I filled it back up and the water AND salt level in the brine tank is up to the top of the tank again...

I think our toilet water still has a very slight tinge to it but not near what we get when I fill the tub with hot water.

watermedic

With the sudden change, I would have the water tested for total coliform.

Also with you living on the river, there is a chance that your well is under influence of surface water. If that is the case, it would be recommended to chlorinate your water.