What kind of groups do you get with your Hunting Handgun?

Handgunner

As most of you know, I shoot a 629 S&W Classic, 8 3/8" barrel, .44mag. Bullet of choice, for now, are Winchester 240gr. soft points.

I recently topped this with a Tasco Pro-point that I bought from Randy. With this setup, from a rest, I'm getting about 3-4" groups @ 50 yards. I can put all 6 rounds within say, the palm of your hand.

I'm used to the rifle groups of .50" or .75" at 100 yards, so these groups I'm not much impressed with.

What do y'all think? Am I expecting too much? Can it get better with more practice? Different loads?

What loads are you shooting and what kind of groups do you get and what do you consider, "good enough for hunting"?

QuakerBoy

As with anything I think you can improve with practice.

do you have a rest to shoot off in your hunting stand?

How do you shoot freehand?

If you can shoot out of your stand from a rest, I think the palm of your hand at 50 yards is plenty for a deer.

Kdog

With my 629 .44 mag, I am shooting .75 @ 50 yards with a rest. Free hand, it's about 2.5-3" depending on how relaxed I am. Last year I was shooting 3" groups from a rest. Practice helped for me. That and a trigger job. :fine: :fine:

Kdog

Randy

Mine does a little better than 3" but that is one reason I replaced the red dot with a scope. A scope, while harder to get use to, allows better accuracy than a red dot at longer distances.

Handgunner

I know each gun has it's own appetite for what rounds it prefers, but what do y'all hunt with in your revolvers?

Handgunner

Kdog said:
With my 629 .44 mag, I am shooting .75 @ 50 yards with a rest. Free hand, it's about 2.5-3" depending on how relaxed I am. Last year I was shooting 3" groups from a rest. Practice helped for me. That and a trigger job. :fine: :fine:

Kdog
I don't think I need a trigger job on my gun. It seems lighter than my rifle and the rifle breaks at a crisp 2.5lbs.

On the handgun I think that's as light as I want to go...

Kdog

Delt, I am using the Winchester 250 grain Partition Gold's.

I have only taken it in the woods one time this year, but plan on useing it for the remainder of the season. That is if I get to go again.

Kdog

Randy

I also shoot the WInchester 250 partitions. I reload and have not been able to reload a better round for hunting.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
At 10 yards I can get 1" or so.....bump that out to 50 yards and we are talking about 15" groups:D

Ok so out to 25 yards I was deadly with my 44MAG with a scope. Further than that and I cannot see the target.

Jim

Handgunner

Looks like I'll be trying the 250gr Partitions then... Thanks y'all. I aim to get a deer before this season is out with my handgun...~*fingers crossed*~