Acid dipping service near atlanta

Can someone point me to a shop that acid dips metal items prior to repainting? I have some old tractor implements and can't reach some areas with a grinder or sandblaster. Was told acid dipping is the way to go. Implement has some nooks & crannies - it's about 4' x 2' x 3' in size.

Look for somewhere in Atlanta prefer on the east side of town, norcross/decatur/stn mountain areas.

thanks.

winchester1970

Might try Pro Cryo Genics in Cumming Georgia. Metal Finishers of Atlanta in Lilburn Georgia. There use to be a place on Mountain Industrial Blvd but I cannot recall the name.

rospaw

Can someone point me to a shop that acid dips metal items prior to repainting? I have some old tractor implements and can't reach some areas with a grinder or sandblaster. Was told acid dipping is the way to go. Implement has some nooks & crannies - it's about 4' x 2' x 3' in size.

Look for somewhere in Atlanta prefer on the east side of town, norcross/decatur/stn mountain areas.

thanks.

Why not try a paint stripper? aka aircraft stripper Works for me just takes a few coats and a little wire brush/pick tool.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
There used to be a place on Murphy Av in Atlanta that dipped. Unpaint Corporation IIRC.

I took them a CJ7 frame and they did a great job.

They charged by the pound.

There used to be a place on Murphy Av in Atlanta that dipped. Unpaint Corporation IIRC.

I took them a CJ7 frame and they did a great job.

They charged by the pound.

How long ago did you use them? Ddin't find a website for them but I found an old listing - called the number and it redirected to another number.. will try them again tomorrow.

The Unpaint Corp
920 Murphy Ave SW
Atlanta, GA 30310
(404) 755-3329

skiff23

Try Metal Plate on Fulton Industrial BLVD. They galvanize and acid sipping is part of that process.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
How long ago did you use them? Ddin't find a website for them but I found an old listing - called the number and it redirected to another number.. will try them again tomorrow.

The Unpaint Corp
920 Murphy Ave SW
Atlanta, GA 30310
(404) 755-3329

It was in the late 90's. I heard something about the guy's son taking over the business a while back.

Try Metal Plate on Fulton Industrial BLVD. They galvanize and acid sipping is part of that process.

I took my Jeep frame to these folks after it was stripped. Back then they didn't strip they just galvanized. They were next door to a boat trailer manufacturing place IIRC.

They made me agree that they were not liable if a chain broke(and dropped a huge beam on my frame) or the frame warped. They stated that the heat sometimes warped boat trailers.
They galvanized a lot of bridge beams, ect. Not too many hobbists came by for galvanizing.

IIRC, it cost about $150 to have the frame galvanized and they even ground down the slag and dressed it up.

It was a killer looking frame when done.

blues brother

Might look into electrolysis. I have seen a YouTube vid where they built a vat out of wood framing,lined it with plastic sheeting. Then a mixture of water and washing soda was used with a sacrificial electrode and a battery charger.
I use it with cast iron cookware all the time. Works great.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Might look into electrolysis. I have seen a YouTube vid where they built a vat out of wood framing,lined it with plastic sheeting. Then a mixture of water and washing soda was used with a sacrificial electrode and a battery charger.

You can also use an angle grin...nevermind.::ke:

I used this a few years ago on some smaller parts - works great for light rust but not as good on heavy rust. I don't have a tank big enough for the trailer body. I'd probably need a bigger electrical supply with a bigger tank even if I had it. I used a battery charger before.. worked ok.

Metalplate Galvanizing LP
505 Selig Dr SW
Atlanta, GA 30336
(404) 691-0600

I called them this morning. Min charge $260, and the confirmed what they do (sulfuric acid bath then dip in zinc). They are out near six flags. He said mine would def fall under the min charge since there isn't much to it.

The Unpaint Corp
920 Murphy Ave SW
Atlanta, GA 30310
(404) 755-3329

Unpaint Corporation is still open but they are no longer at the address above. Here's their new location:

3094 Emery Circle
Austell, GA 30168

The man on the phone said he expected the price to be around $300 for dipping and powder coating. So its comparible to galvanizing.

MetalPlate said that galvanizing treats the metal in additon to putting a layer on top, where as paint/powdercoat can rub & chip off over time. I think the powder will look better but I know the trailer will be left out in the weather when I'm done with it so maybe the galvanizing is better.