Looking for a butcher shop-Evans,Thompson,Lincolnton area

Head East

I am looking for a good butcher shop in the area. I would like to buy better meat in bulk. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :flag:

skiff23

Cason's in Thompson does a good lob on their pork products. But if you are looking for bulk - enough to save money , I don't think a butcher shop is what you want. You will need to find a farmer to buy a live animal and have it butchered or find a farmer who sells halves and wholes with the butchering priced in.

Head East

Thanks guys, that's a big help. :cool: I will check them out. It's been a while, but I had a farm and raised my own beef and hogs for butcher at one time. I agree this is the best way to go. Especially if i can see their operation and see what i am buying before hand. I plan on moving pretty soon and want to wait until after that to stock a freezer. We had pork chops tonight and they were terrible. My daughter said they tasted "water logged".:huh: Son said they were "mushy". :rofl: It's the second time in a month they have tasted odd like this. Anyways, in the mean time, I need to find something other than the grocery store.

Thanks again!

skiff23

Raise your own ! I just killed 6 hogs weighing 550 + lbs Friday that I had raised. The meat is awesome. I butcher all of it and cure the hams and bacon the old fashion way. Sausage is better than you could dream of any store having . And the best part next to the flavor is it is all natural and NO chemicals or nonnatural additives even in the cures !

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
This is probably going to sound wierd, but you might want to give the meat at Sam's in Augusta a try. I have found it head and shoulders above standard grocery store fare.

If you are looking for USDA Choice meats you will have to find a specialty butcher shop and the prices will be high.

Town and Country pig processor outside Thompson is good for bulk. Doug's meat shop on Dean's Bridge or Reed's are both butchers but you're gonna pay premium butcher prices. Town and Country may be able to under-price Sam's but not by too much. I got a bunch of butts from them years ago at .79 per lb though. Haven't seen it that low since.

Head East

Good stuff, thanks y'all. :fine: I will check a few of these places out Saturday. I realize I might pay a bit more, maybe a lot more. It just rubs me wrong when I spend money on something that we just can't eat and it seems to be happening more often. :banginghe That's more expensive in my mind. Justus, as far as Sam's, I don't shop at anything Wally. :smash: I quit going there over 10 years ago. I do have a costco membership, but haven't tried their meat, so that idea has been helpful. I may just consider going with one of the original suggestions of buying a half and freezing it. I just haven't wanted to add stuff I will need to move.

Raise your own ! I just killed 6 hogs weighing 550 + lbs Friday that I had raised. The meat is awesome. I butcher all of it and cure the hams and bacon the old fashion way. Sausage is better than you could dream of any store having . And the best part next to the flavor is it is all natural and NO chemicals or nonnatural additives even in the cures !

I gotta do this.

Latest posts