How to keep master locks from going bad outside?

ridgestalker

I have to have a certain kind of master locks on one of the places i hunt and it seems like after a year they get were you cant even lock them back after opening the gate.I wd 40 them every so often an it helps but still are hard to lock back and as time goes on they get were you cant even get them to lock.Does anyone know of something you can put on a lock thats in the weather all year that will keep this from happening.Thanks

Jim Baker

Staff member
Even the "weather resistant" Master locks don't hold up.

One of our landowners requires these locks and they are about as weather proof as you can get.

http://www.americanlock.com/solid_body_padlocks/solid_steel/rectangular_padlocks.jsp

Other than that we have done this on one lease.

Metal box with door on the front. Hole big enough for chain to pass through on one side of box. Bolt box to post and pass chain from gate through the hole and put lock through chain link. Close door to box. An old single breaker box work good.

Artfuldodger

The best thing is to hang the lock upside down with a rubber cover over the part where the key hole is. If the combo number wheels are on the bottom this would work but not if they are on the side. Sometimes you can't hang a lock upside down.

DBM78

I wouldn't use oil on any lock that is just going to atract dust and dirt. You could try using so graphite like you would use on your door/deadbolts.

merc123

I wouldn't use oil on any lock that is just going to atract dust and dirt. You could try using so graphite like you would use on your door/deadbolts.

Marvel does not. We use it the lubricate race car parts....on the dirt track because it has a repelling property against the dirt.

Artfuldodger

What stores carry Marvel Lubricating Oil ?

You can buy this mysterious oil just about any where in the automotive dept. and at Autozone & Advance Auto.
Basically it's some oil, mineral spirits, dichlorobenzene (about 0.25%), red dye, and a bit of Wintergreen oil for fragrance.
By the way I use Marvel in my fuel as a top-end lube for valves and stems. I can no more prove it works than I can disprove it.
To some it's snake oil, to others it's magic oil. To me it's a pretty good oil thinner & sluge loosener on some engines immediately prior to oil change. It's an ok penetrating oil too.
Seems to be similar to transmission fluid, mineral spirits, and kerosene.
I love the way it smells and put a few cap fulls in my lawn mower crankcases & fuel tanks. I put a few ounces in older car engines too. It might work on human knees & elbows!

merc123

What stores carry Marvel Lubricating Oil ?

Just get it at Wal-Mart (cheapest). You don't have to get the "lubricating" oil you can the regular one in the red bottle that you put in your engine. I got a small squirt bottle from the beauty section so I could apply it without pouring it.

shadow2

Even the "weather resistant" Master locks don't hold up.

One of our landowners requires these locks and they are about as weather proof as you can get.

http://www.americanlock.com/solid_body_padlocks/solid_steel/rectangular_padlocks.jsp

Other than that we have done this on one lease.

Metal box with door on the front. Hole big enough for chain to pass through on one side of box. Bolt box to post and pass chain from gate through the hole and put lock through chain link. Close door to box. An old single breaker box work good.

Yep those are about the best outdoor locks that I have found. I only use these locks.

bamaboy

This^^^^ WD-40 is useless to me it attracts dirt and dander and dust,I never use it on anything that is mechanical that has moveable parts

7Mag Hunter

You can buy this mysterious oil just about any where in the automotive dept. and at Autozone & Advance Auto.
Basically it's some oil, mineral spirits, dichlorobenzene (about 0.25%), red dye, and a bit of Wintergreen oil for fragrance.
By the way I use Marvel in my fuel as a top-end lube for valves and stems. I can no more prove it works than I can disprove it.
To some it's snake oil, to others it's magic oil. To me it's a pretty good oil thinner & sluge loosener on some engines immediately prior to oil change. It's an ok penetrating oil too.
Seems to be similar to transmission fluid, mineral spirits, and kerosene.
I love the way it smells and put a few cap fulls in my lawn mower crankcases & fuel tanks. I put a few ounces in older car engines too. It might work on human knees & elbows!

I use per instructions in my 4 cycle motors....

ridgestalker

This^^^^ WD-40 is useless to me it attracts dirt and dander and dust,I never use it on anything that is mechanical that has moveable parts

I can see using graphite on anything indoors or slightly exposed to the elements but dont see it working to well in year around exposure to the elements with out it being sealed.

FurFeathers&Scales

I worked at a self-storage several summers and when they needed me... We always used the disc locks (round) made my chateau I think-never had any problems out of them. They stayed out in the rain and dust for years and opened right up when needed. Just a suggestion.

GoldDot40

White lithium grease for me. I've used the same lock for 8 years on my storage building...and have 'greased' it only twice with white lithium. It gets direct rain, sun, and dirt (when I cut grass).

Eudora

WOW ! Marvel Mystery Oil. I am a manufacturer's rep in the auto parts industry and rep Marvel Mystery Oil. They are owned by Turtle Wax now. That stuff has been around a LOOOONG time and has a cult following. It does work for all the applications you guys mentioned and I use it too in my diesel Massey Ferguson for a top end cylinder lube. But the 'ole joke we hear is every time you see a funeral procession going by, tip your hat to them. That means there is most likely one less Marvel Mystery Oil customer in the world today because not too many newcomers to the product.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I have to have a certain kind of master locks on one of the places i hunt and it seems like after a year they get were you cant even lock them back after opening the gate.I wd 40 them every so often an it helps but still are hard to lock back and as time goes on they get were you cant even get them to lock.Does anyone know of something you can put on a lock thats in the weather all year that will keep this from happening.Thanks

Buy an aerosol can of white lithium. Spray that inside the mechanism. WD40 actualy gets gummy and washes off in rain. Use a heavy oil in the key hole or use the straw on the white lithium can to spry in there. Then push the key in and out to work it into the pins / tumblers. White lithium is long lasting, melt resistant and good