OSB or Rigid Insulation Board

Local Boy

We have a fixer upper 1500 sq. ft. house that we are remodeling. We will strip the exterior walls to the studs (existing siding is not an option).

We will use pine 1x8s for lap siding. Would OSB or rigid insulation board be best? I read that the OSB would prevent the 1x8s from "cupping". I think that adding insulation board on the OSB would be thicker that the window and door depth (already in place).

Last edited:

Jim Baker

Staff member
We have a fixer upper 1500 sq. ft. house that we are remodeling. We will strip the exterior walls to the studs (existing siding is not an option).

We will use pine 1x8s for lap siding. Would OSB or rigid insulation board be best? I read that the OSB would prevent the 1x8s from "cupping". I think that adding insulation board on the OSB would be thicker that the window and door depth (already in place).

Your studs on 16" centers.

I have rigid blue board under my 1x8 cedar lap siding. 25 years old and no cupping or distortion.

skiff23

I prerfer osb with tyvec. I dont think rigid has enough strength to satisfy me. I would also look into the spray foam insulation.it may seem to cost more, but it is alot cheaper in the end result. You can sav e on HVAC tonnage and your h/c bills every month form now on.

Cabin creek man

Last i checked osb was really expensive but given the choice the osb with house wrap is the way you want to go. The sideing your useing is it resawed 2x8 or actuall 1x8 and your gonna overlap it? Cause the resawed goes on so much better. And is much less expensive.

Local Boy

Last i checked osb was really expensive but given the choice the osb with house wrap is the way you want to go. The sideing your useing is it resawed 2x8 or actuall 1x8 and your gonna overlap it? Cause the resawed goes on so much better. And is much less expensive.

Using resawn 2x8s overlapped.

Nuttin Better

If you are looking for insulation value use the rigid insulation board. You should not have any problem with the 1 x 8 siding over the insulation. If you are concerned about strength I would use the OSB