Woodland Points info please

Darkhorse

I have found several points, or to be more accurate, pieces of points in Pulaski Co. From internet resources I have tentatively identified them as "Woodland"
This land was farmed extensively in the past and the dirt roads are graded which I think accounts for the condition of the points.
They seem very crude but recognizable as having been worked.
Some of the first ones I found were of a material so brittle it broke while being examined. This caused me to wonder why a point was made from this material. All they had to work with at the time?
A couple of weeks ago I found an almost intact point that had been churned up by my horses. On the outside the material looked the same as the others, a dull yellowish with no shine. But this point was thicker than the others I'd found and where the end was broken off you could see the interior was translucent flint but about 1/16" deep or so all around the outside the surface was of this dull yellow color.
It looked like the stone had undergone a chemical change only on the exposed surfaces. Or perhaps been heated in fire?
This has made me rethink my earlier thoughts about the brittle material as now I think in its original state it was not that brittle at all.
Any thoughts on this by anyone.
Also any information on the Woodland points would be appreciated.
Sorry no photos at this time. The points were given to a lady friend of mine who collects them but doesn't really know anything about them.

Bow Only

Many Woodland points weren't as well made as in other periods. Many are also made of heat treated materials. The rock you are describing is difficult for me to understand, but might be a poor quality chert. Woodland points are usually less than 2000 yrs old, so patination or "weathering" isn't as bad as the older points.
I've got some Woodland points too and they're not the high quality points that other peoples made.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Darkhorse, when the points that you found were made, the stone was in much better shape than it is now. Due to weather and nature, the stone has a patina on it. You can see the depth of the patina on the broken point you described. This natural action works much faster on flakes and thin pieces than it does on bigger chunks of stone. These bigger nodules of chert often have a limestone coverin` on them that potects the stone from patina.
I also think that chemicals and fertilizer applied to fields affects the stone as well. I`ve found some that you could crumble between your fingers from areas like this.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Woodland points

Here's a few woodland type points, are your points shaped anything like any of these?

Last edited:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Woodland points

Here's an earlier Woodland type called Hernando

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That frame in Post #4 looks like a friend of mines points.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Woodland Points Info

Could be Nick, he lives down in Fl. We used the picture for a typology project. Great examples of the types.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Woodland Points Info

More Woodland forms, these are from my collection

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yep, Tallahassee. C. G. has a magnificent collection. And a world of knowledge.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Woodland Points Info

Few more I found in Early Co. Ga. All associated with sand tempered pottery shards, plummets, gorgets and celts.

Last edited:

Darkhorse

In post #8 the two on the left side of the top line look most like what I've been finding.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Woodland Points Info

Those are Duval points, usually crude, and thick with a diamond cross section.

miller

Nic,
How is Craig doing, I have not seen him on other sites lately?

Darkhorse

Whats the difference between a Duval point and a Woodland point?
Who made which and when?
I'm looking for information.

Bow Only

A Duval is a Woodland point. The Woodland culture of Native Americans began around 500 BC and ended around AD 800-900. The Duval was one of the eariler Woodland points originating around AD 0 and production ending around AD 200. In Son's picture, there are several nice Duval examples.