Barbed wire

DamonRossFoster

K , so I have a question for some of you more seasoned Turkey Aficionados:

From your (anyone's ) experience, what's the full scoop on barbed wire fences. Specifically old ones. Meaning; the fences which are either out of commission, or seldom maintained and weathered (rusted, broken, gapped, widely spaced, blowdowns, etc.)

I've always been told not to try to call a bird from across a fence line. Alright. Got it. But there have to be exceptions, and my question is what may those be? I would guess a turkey wouldn't hesitate to walk under an old fence which has it's lowest strand of wire a foot and a half off the ground; or no? I assume turkeys funnel across fences along blowdowns; right?

The reason I even ask a question like this (risking crusifixion) is because I have about 200 acres of land to hunt and it's completely riddled with old fencing throughout; not to mention surrounded. There are plenty of birds on it, but it always seems like there's a fence between every roost I find and a decent spot to set up.

It's extremely common for me to see turkeys out in the pasture during the early spring (duh!), but I know from watching the birds come out of the woodline, that they had to cross the fence at some point. And this is the normal daily pattern for the birds (duh!, again).

Is it an issue of stubbornness on the bird's part, or am I completely wrong about calling to birds opposite a fence line? I can't avoid them (fences), so I'm just trying to see what some of y'alls experience(s) have been.

MackUSCG

Iv'e had em fly across a creek, walk across a main road and come thru a barbed wire fence. If they are hot they will do what it takes to get to a hen. But yes, If you can set up in a position to where you are even and/or slightly above the bird with no distractions or obstacles you do have a better chance of getting him. Strut zones become hard to get him out of. If you can edge up to his field/strut zone and set up on him without getting busted you can use an old fan (I would not recommend this on public land or a field near the side of a road) and hold it up like a strutting gobbler. I've used this tactic before and I've had to kill a few in self defense! Good luck to you this year!

Mack

DamonRossFoster

thanks Mack. That's the kinda thing I like to hear, some enthusiasm! I've also had birds fly across a river to me, unfortunately it was a Jake. I've just always been apprehensive when it comes to the whole fence thing.

six

They cross over, under and through fences all the time. They can also hangup at a fence. It seems like if their just feeding, following hens etc. they come to a fence and go right through or under. Call one to a fence and he more times than not will act confused and possibly hang up. Having a fence is not an ideal situation, but there are old fences about every where you go so I don't worry about it to much.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I watched a hen one afternoon for 45 minutes trying to find the hole in the fence to get thru. She must have passed it 50 times. Finally it started getting dark and she flew over the fence.

DamonRossFoster

They cross over, under and through fences all the time. They can also hangup at a fence. It seems like if their just feeding, following hens etc. they come to a fence and go right through or under. Call one to a fence and he more times than not will act confused and possibly hang up. Having a fence is not an ideal situation, but there are old fences about every where you go so I don't worry about it to much.

^
Good Stuff, what I needed to hear. Thanks.
:cheers:

Curtis-UGA

I've seen them fly the swamp to get to me and pace back and forth at a puddle that they can easily walk around. Watched them jump over fences and hang up on them. Try to make it as easy as possible to get to you, but don't spook a bird trying to get around a possible obstruction.

Killdee

Have a fence situation on 3 different property's. On 1 there is a low spot they know about and that is how they most often cross it when not spooked, then they fly over, so I know to set up fairly near this spot. At the other spot there is an old fence on a little rise between property's no livestock on either place. I use a forked stick to prop up the lower strand and turkeys go right under it. I also do this on another property. Also I have permission to hunt and be on all these fence lines.

ryanwhit

If you know the fence is there, try to set up close enough that you can shoot them through it if you need to.

jpatton

I think every bird is different and every situation. It all depends on what mood he is in that day.

icdedturkes

This is the truth.. They can cross the - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - 1000 times a day, know exactly where they cross either know its 75 yards away but Oh nooo throw that turkey call in and they pace back and forth like they are trying to enter Jurassic park.. facepalm:facepalm:

Maybe just maybe the female turkeys are the intelligent ones and actually lead them around most of the times. :rolleyes:

cowhornedspike

My take on this is that the tom is already going against his nature by coming to the hen rather than waiting on her to come his way so any little excuse for him to hang up is likely going to cause him to do that.

In normal travel to and from feed and roost there is no "wait on the hen" rule for him to break so the fence doesn't slow him down then.

bull0ne

Banned
Turkeys don't react to barbed wire the same way they will to woven wire, as it can very well serve as a barrier.

They won't break stride when walking at barbed wire. Not an issue I've ever noticed with birds coming after being called to the gun, or feeding birds drifting around by their own choice.

TailCrackin

Had a pair hang up on a old beat down barb wire fence last year that I didnt know was there until after the fact. (1st time hunting WMA and set up before light)

They came in running off the roost and strutted up and down the fence gobbling their heads off for 45 minutes but wouldnt commit across that fence line. It had several blow downs across it and was covered in honeysuckle which is why I couldnt get a shot even when they were 25 yards away so yes they can hang a bird up.

Like Ryan said...good to know where they are and set up on the fence if you have to to shoot through it.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Turkeys do whatever they want and mostly unpredictable. I have seen turkeys go through a fence with no problem and seen some hang up on a dead log and not cross it. I have called a turkey from the other side of a 100' wide creek and had others hang up at a dirt road.

You never know what they are going to do. But one thing I can say is I believe there is a simple reason for "the hang-up." A strutting turkey is in two modes simultaneously. One is attraction mode, to lure the hens. The second is defensive. The gobbler may not know if another gobbler is in the area and strutting with his feathers fluffed out helps protect him if he is attacked by another bird.

In order to go through a fence, across a creek or other obstacle, he has to let his guard down. This opens him up and makes him vulnerable to attack from another gobbler. You just really don't know what they will do, because if he doesn't feel safe, he won't cross it.

born2hunt99

Just hunt 'em! If they are hanging up, be aggressive and you will kill birds! I have called 'em away from hens and across creeks. Just stay at it!

Jamey J

I know its not a fence but i set up on one side of some railroad tracks one year & for 2 mornings in a row called one all the way across a huge clearcut to just the other side of the tracks & had to watch him strut & gobble his head off at 45 yrds cause the other side of the tracks was not part of my lease! But on the third morning i moved down the tracks bout 60 yrds & changed up calls & i must have caught him on just the right morning cause he flew the tracks. BAD mistake for him/good move for me. Moral of my story is catch him when he's hot & he'll fly,jump,hop,crawl etc. to get to ya! Good luck & keep us posted.

MackUSCG

I know its not a fence but i set up on one side of some railroad tracks one year & for 2 mornings in a row called one all the way across a huge clearcut to just the other side of the tracks & had to watch him strut & gobble his head off at 45 yrds cause the other side of the tracks was not part of my lease! But on the third morning i moved down the tracks bout 60 yrds & changed up calls & i must have caught him on just the right morning cause he flew the tracks. BAD mistake for him/good move for me. Moral of my story is catch him when he's hot & he'll fly,jump,hop,crawl etc. to get to ya! Good luck & keep us posted.

X2 thats for sure!

masonbell1

Ive had em come through fences and also stop at the fences.I seen about 10 longbeards one day after turkey season come up to a hogwire fence.And one at a time jump/fly up to the post then hop down on the other side.I also have had 3 longbeards roosted on the other side of a old cabin from me fly across the cabin,the pond and the creek and land in the decoys.If the birds want there they will get there no matter whats in the way lol