Decoy Set Up and opinions?

Fowl

I have killed a good many birds in different terrains. Woods, fields, swamps. So what I am getting at is I am an experienced hunter. I didn't get skunked last year but I had more close calls with birds hanging up behind trees short stopping the decoy, not seeing a decoy and getting spooky etc etc.

I've never been crazy about decoys only in certain situations and I try to place the decoy in a way that if the bird does short stop it, it's too late.

I am re-evaluating my philosophy after last year's numerous close calls. It seems everytime I needed a decoy I didn't put it out and when I did they were wary of it!

Curious to hear your opinions and approaches on it!! Thanks.

hambone76

I dont know what your setups looked like, but either the hangups are from the gobbler seeing the decoy and expecting the hen to come the rest of the way to him or he got to a point where he could see well enough that he decided to hang tight right there.
Sounds like those birds that you got on last year are not fools.
Not saying that your setup locations were bad choices, but maybe those birds are just overly cautious. If your setups were good to you I would consider taking the decoys out of the equation and stop calling while the birds are still out of sight so maybe they continue moving through your setup.
Tough to kill birds like that make turkey hunting such a challenge.

cfuller6

I dont know what your setups looked like, but either the hangups are from the gobbler seeing the decoy and expecting the hen to come the rest of the way to him or he got to a point where he could see well enough that he decided to hang tight right there.
Sounds like those birds that you got on last year are not fools.
Not saying that your setup locations were bad choices, but maybe those birds are just overly cautious. If your setups were good to you I would consider taking the decoys out of the equation and stop calling while the birds are still out of sight so maybe they continue moving through your setup.
Tough to kill birds like that make turkey hunting such a challenge.

This.....
Try a gobbler decoy early in season

cfuller6

Only bad part is hauling a large decoy around in the woods... that's when you bring a tag along with you to carry extra gear

EastmanFireFighter

I used decoys back in the day and had the same problems in the same terrain. I stopped using them for the fact that I noticed more birds coming closer because they can't "find" the decoy. Alot of times if I hadn't shot them they would have walked on by trying to find the hen. I also have found the art of not over calling. Less is more in my experiences. Makes the chase aggravate him and he comes a looking. Just my two cents worth.

Posted from Gon.com App for Android

BERN

I have pretty much quit using them at all. Tom Kelly has an interesting theory in his latest book that birds freeze when there is danger. He observed this behavior in songbirds as well.

Fowl

I used decoys back in the day and had the same problems in the same terrain. I stopped using them for the fact that I noticed more birds coming closer because they can't "find" the decoy. Alot of times if I hadn't shot them they would have walked on by trying to find the hen. I also have found the art of not over calling. Less is more in my experiences. Makes the chase aggravate him and he comes a looking. Just my two cents worth.

Posted from Gon.com App for Android

Typically that is how I like to do it, I don't call a lot especially when they are working.They are so good at pin pointing sound. I like to sit and call sparingly at a good spot (a whole different topic) I have had the best luck I think without a decoy overall. So I think I will probably continue to leave it at home.

I tried a gobbler decoy twice. Once called a nice bird across a field at a run broke him from his hens. Second time it spooked a smaller 2 y/o. He wanted nothing to do with a fight. I just am too lazy to drag it around.

Timber1

BANNED
I have pretty much quit using them at all. Tom Kelly has an interesting theory in his latest book that birds freeze when there is danger. He observed this behavior in songbirds as well.

Ive seen gobblers do lots of different things when they sense danger. Freezing was never one of them.

Carp

Ive seen gobblers do lots of different things when they sense danger. Freezing was never one of them.

I think he was talking about the decoy not moving as if it was sensing danger and spooking the gobbler.

RipperIII

The first gobbler I killed ran straight into a gobbler/hen set up my rookie season.

That was 4 seasons ago

I've since tried several decoy set ups only to be frustrated as the gobblers hung up out of range.

I hunt a big timber lease, and we are overrun with turkey,...many,many a time I've had hens all over the area between me and the gobbler that I was attempting to woo.

I could use a little advice.

hambone76

You could try not using the dekes and if possible, use the topography to manipulate the gobblers into coming within gun range. Setting up just past the apex of a curve in a woods road forces a gobbler to come around the curve to see down the road. Set up using a small rise in the terrain to block a gobblers view so that he has to crest the rise to see. Sometimes you can get them to come to where you want but most of the time they go where they want. If hens beat you to a gobbler you can try trash talking the boss hen and hope she comes in thus bringing the gobbler in tow. Otherwise you best figure out where they are going and try to get there ahead of them.

Headsortails

Though I have had gobblers hang up and shy away from decoys, my best bird last years came running across a field just to fight with my jake decoy. Decoys are a tool to be used as needed. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

RipperIII

You could try not using the dekes and if possible, use the topography to manipulate the gobblers into coming within gun range. Setting up just past the apex of a curve in a woods road forces a gobbler to come around the curve to see down the road. Set up using a small rise in the terrain to block a gobblers view so that he has to crest the rise to see. Sometimes you can get them to come to where you want but most of the time they go where they want. If hens beat you to a gobbler you can try trash talking the boss hen and hope she comes in thus bringing the gobbler in tow. Otherwise you best figure out where they are going and try to get there ahead of them.

Thanks Hambone.