Kee-Kee'ng in the spring?

chefrific

I went out scouting/listening this weekend. Heard some gobbling at daylight, then nothing. Around 10am down in a creek bottom I heard Kee-kee's and whiny yelping like crazy.
Then... a gobble, and more kee-kee'ng. This went on for over 20 minutes.
I thought a kee kee was a fall call for turkey?
Somebody school me.

hawglips

Banned
I use it all the time in the spring.

rex upshaw

I use it in the spring. Not all the time as Hawglips does, but I certainly use it a fair amount.

Curtis-UGA

It can be deadly. I think one of the main things is finding a sound or call the gobbler is familiar with. A call a hen he regularly hooks up with does.

hoppie

I also use it in the spring and have had good results. Do not use it every hunt, but will mix it in. Have heard birds do it in the spring and gobblers go nuts before.

TK1

Have used the kee kee/kee kee run for over twenty years in the spring..Every turkey can produce this sound and doesnt matter what time of the year..poults,young hens,adult hens,jakes and adult gobblers..

WOODSWIZE

My first bird back in the 80's was called in with a Kee Kee in the spring -it was the first call I learned back then using diaphrams.

gregg

Yep, I called in one of my first Spring birds with a kee-kee too, late morning, dang tom ran to me like he was on a string.....So, I use it a bunch.

Timber1

BANNED
It will bring birds in...not always the one you want it to though. You start whistling birds in and your gonna get busted by birds coming in from all directions. Mostly lonely hens and jakes. It will make a gobbler start yelping and clucking and I doubt many here would know the difference.

hambone76

Yep. Like using the Kee Kee.

Turkeyhunter34

The kee kee is a grouping call often used but not limited to mature hens in the spring, all turkeys are capable of making the sound including jakes, gobblers and poults. The Whiney yelp you hear after-wards is a transition on to a plain yelp usually, somewhat of a pleading for other turkeys. I see jakes do this a lot. Timber1 is correct about not always calling the right one in.