Shotgun questions

Rattlecrap

I have an older Country Squire 12 gauge, Mossberg 500abr, 28" barrel. I don't feel any threads down in the barrel so I guess it won't take a choke attachment. It has a modified choke and is labeled for 2.75 to 3 inch shell. I was hoping to use it this year for turkey hunting but not sure it is the right set up. Should I just buy a new turkey gun? I am assuming this gun would be better used for dove hunting? Also can someone tell me what the "abr" stands for? Thanks for any help.

hambone76

It would work if you arent worried about scratches and ding, but you would need to pattern it to find out what your max range is. The few Country Squires Ive seen were pretty guns and I would probably limit its use to the dove field if it were mine. Ones I saw were engraved with bird dog scenes. Not sure what abr stands for.

JimLandt

You can see how that gun patterns. With modified choke you might be limited to 30-35 yard shots. You'd probably also want to cover all the shiny, blue finish with camo tape. (If you do that, be sure to take the tape back off and clean the finish after each season or else your gun will rust.) You can get a 24" barrel for it with screw-in chokes, so you could add a turkey choke for better patterns. You might find that barrel used for less $. Then you'd have a turkey gun.

I think: A-was for 12 gauge. B-means "blemish" which were all sold in large discount stores like Walmart, K-Mart, etc.
R- means "roll engraving". I'm not sure about these. If anyone knows for sure, chime in.

Last edited:

Rattlecrap

Thanks guys, It has a pretty nice pattern with bird shot never tried anything heavy duty in it, it does have the inscription of a dog on one side and quail on the other. My dad bought it for me for Christmas when I was 16 (a very long time ago). It's pretty easy to take the barrel off maybe I will try to get another barrel. So you guys don't think there would be any problem if I get a 24" inch barrel and new choke? No problem with the action, as long as I stay with a 2.75 or 3" shell?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
your new barrel will read on the side of it if it will chamber 3 inch!!!
good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

JimLandt

Mossberg makes a solid gun. Just clean it up and oil it well, especially if it hasn't been used much lately. Lots of turkeys are killed by 500's every year. Barrels interchange easily. Because the original barrel says 2 3/4"-3" on it, your action will handle 3" loads just fine, which is all you'll ever never for turkeys.

Try pattering it with # 4 lead or hevi #5 or # 6 at 40 yards to see what you got. My great grandad hunted turkeys all of his adult life with a auto 5 with a 28 inch modified barrel. He killed more turkeys than I will with this setup. I killed one last year with his gun at 30 yards. It will pattern the bigger shot better than the smaller.

Rattlecrap

Awesome!! thanks yall, I'll post pics when I start tartget practice

JimLandt

I'd do some research before shooting Hevi in that barrel. I have no knowledge about that one on your Mossberg, but I've heard of Hevi bulging some fixed choke barrels. Check it out first to make sure.