heavy shot and chokes qeustion. UPDATE!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
hello!
so i've been reading all the heavy shot h13 hype and i wanted to try for myself.

qeustion is. does this stuff require a special choke of any kind?????????

i have tru glo, invector, and win chokes.
i no longer have the packages they came in.
however i do remember reading or seeing that most chokes are not made for different metal shots.
i'm no expert on this but i think those warnings were mainly for different waterfowl loads. but i don't know.
i'm hoping to be sure i can shoot this stuff in my chokes.

bass pro has 10 dollar mail in rebate per box on them also.

thanks for any advice!!!!!!!!!!!!:flag:

Last edited:

JimLandt

I'm pretty sure all TruGlo turkey chokes shoot Hevi shot. They came into the the choke market pretty recently. Look on their website. If you see your model there (like TG172, written on the side of your unscrewed choke), you're good to go.

sea trout

2 1300's. 1 older model and 1 newer model
1 835. no idea the age

thanks jimlandt i'll check!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad C.

Well the 835 more than likely will give the best patterns with the .775 overbored barrel. I would says the TruGlo choke will work, but the others I don't know what you got. Another thing I'll add. If your going to make the switch to Hevi-13, you might as well ring out your patterns with a premium choke tube. In the 835, I would strongly recommend a TruGlo SSX .670, Indian Creek .675, or Pure Gold .670 or even a Jelly Head .690. But for the money, the Tru Glo is the way to go for $35 shipped to your door. If you want the link, I'll get it for you. I would also recommend you to shoot the Hevi-13 3.5" #7 loadsin the 835 and the 3" in the 1300. The Winchester will probably shoot very well with a Jelly Head choke. Or you can go with a Indian Creek or Pure Gold.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I dont know about the others but my one of my undertaker chokes has "lead only printed on it". The one i bought for Hevi dose not.

Brad C.

I dont know about the others but my one of my undertaker chokes has "lead only printed on it". The one i bought for Hevi dose not.

That's because the one for Hevi-Shot they opened the constriction up to .675 instead of .665 and put Hevi-Shot on it. They both will work for Hevi-Shot. I shot Hevi-Shot through both of my Undertaker lead only chokes without any issues.

sea trout

brad c
the undertaker choke i have for 835 says 00656-.705 id
the true glow choke i have for 835 says tg171x 101707a

they don't say lead only on either of them.
do these make sense for what you are trying to explain to me?
and thank you very much for your time and help!!!!!!!!!!!

i bought turkey chokes and turkey bullets when i first statred turkey huntin with out paying ant attention to what i was buying.

the bullets i bought yesterday are heavy shot, magnum blend, 3 inch, 2 oz, 5 6 7 blend shotsize.

i want to test them! i'm hoping my chokes are ok with them!

thanks y'all!!!!!!!!!!

JimLandt

That info. is on both choke company websites, but I just looked for you. They're both Hevi-shot/High density chokes. Go see which one patterns best and post the pics of your turkey. Good luck!

sea trout

ahhhh ha!!!!!!!!
thanks a million jimlandt!!!!!!!!!
i'll test them.
i'll also try to look up the websight and see if i can find the info for my 1300 chokes!!!
thanks guys!!!!

sea trout

ok the choke tube i have for one of my 1300's is made by colonial arms. IVTK2.
i reasearched it some and it says continuously not for use with steel shot.
thats all i could find. so this heavy shot magnum stuff, it's not steel. right?

Brad C.

brad c
the undertaker choke i have for 835 says 00656-.705 id
the true glow choke i have for 835 says tg171x 101707a

they don't say lead only on either of them.
do these make sense for what you are trying to explain to me?
and thank you very much for your time and help!!!!!!!!!!!

i bought turkey chokes and turkey bullets when i first statred turkey huntin with out paying ant attention to what i was buying.

the bullets i bought yesterday are heavy shot, magnum blend, 3 inch, 2 oz, 5 6 7 blend shotsize.

i want to test them! i'm hoping my chokes are ok with them!

thanks y'all!!!!!!!!!!

I have the first Undertaker choke made for the 835. It was .695. It shoots Hevi-13 loads fine. The one you have that is .705 is when they opened them to due to Hevi-Shot loads which really didn't need to be done. Back when Hevi-Shot first really started hitting the market in the Remington loads it was thought that all chokes(most were probably .665) needed to be opened up to .675 to be safe for Hevi-Shot loads and that they would shoot better out of this constriction. That was later proven to not necessarily be true on both acounts.

Your TruGlo choke should be fine shooting Hevi-13 loads through it.

Brad C.

ok the choke tube i have for one of my 1300's is made by colonial arms. IVTK2.
i reasearched it some and it says continuously not for use with steel shot.
thats all i could find. so this heavy shot magnum stuff, it's not steel. right?

That's correct. Your choke should be perfectly safe to shoot Hevi-13 loads.

sea trout

thanks for all the info and help y'all!!!!!!!

sea trout

just shot one of the 1300's "woody"
at 40-45 yards.
i shot my old first place round and got 28 hits in the turkey head, (h.s. turkey head target)
then shot that heavy shot stuff i bought at a new target and got 53 hits in the turkey head!

now i see what all the hype is about. i'll shoot other guns later.

Brad C.

just shot one of the 1300's "woody"
at 40-45 yards.
i shot my old first place round and got 28 hits in the turkey head, (h.s. turkey head target)
then shot that heavy shot stuff i bought at a new target and got 53 hits in the turkey head!

now i see what all the hype is about. i'll shoot other guns later.

Don't tell the lead guys this. They may buy up all the good stuff if you do. LOL!

Now do yourself a favor and buy some of the Hevi-13 #7 loads and see how much more impressed you will be. Then buy a great shooting choke like Indian Creek or Pure Gold and you will feel like you have been blessed. :clap:

sea trout

ha ha! a little at a time when extra money is around i will.
right now i feel like i found gold!
just shot the 835 at 40-45 yards and with its usual 3 n a half inch number 5 shot i had 22 hits in the turkeys head.
then i shot a 3 inch heavy shot 5,6,7, blend and got 54 hits in the turkeyhead.
these shells are doubling the amount of hits with same choke at same distances!!

Headshot17

That's awesome. I should receive my Indian Creek choke and Hevi 13 # 7 around monday. I can't wait. On the Old Gobbler forum board they have patterning pictures. This choke and shell out of the 870 SM showed 342 hits in a 10 or 20 inch circle at 40 yards. I don't remember which circle but more than likely it was the 20"

sea trout

ah ya your probably gonna be amazed like i was!!!
i didn't make a circle i just counted the shot in the turkey head print.
but looking at the whole target the density of this stuff on the paper was extrordinary!!!!!!!!
i'll take pics of the targets and post em!!
i know i may sound goofy to alot of y'all but i'm very excited and proud

Brad C.

That's awesome. I should receive my Indian Creek choke and Hevi 13 # 7 around monday. I can't wait. On the Old Gobbler forum board they have patterning pictures. This choke and shell out of the 870 SM showed 342 hits in a 10 or 20 inch circle at 40 yards. I don't remember which circle but more than likely it was the 20"

That was a 10" circle.

IM000143.jpg