The Real Deal For Choke Tubes!!!

Millyville Hunter

We had the pleasure of heading down to Hazlehurst, GA this past weekend and getting seven guns set up with JEB'S Headhunter Choke Tubes for Combat In The Wild. Man was I impressed. This chokes are the real deal I have never seen patterns so tight!! They have got it down. The picture below is from a Benelli Super Black Eagle at 30yrds. Spectra Shot White Lightning Turkey load 3in 1 5/8th ounce #6. Unreal performance 242 in the 10inch ring. 310 in the 20in ring. Look for the videos from this turkey season.

Attachments

• jeb.jpg
    jeb.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 6,817

MCNASTY

I saw a SBE do that at 40 yards two weekends ago with JEBS choke. A true 70 yard gun, shooting heavy Nitro 4,5,7 mix shot. .645 restriction. May not be the best on the market, but it's made in Georgia and on USA soil.

RUNnGUN

that's pretty good, but I am a Sumtoy man to the max. Ya can't beat 290 in 10 inch at 40 yds with the almighty Hevi 13!

spydermon

mc nasty id like to see some of your patterns. id like to see a true test of some of the ga made chokes. some gooduns made now. btw..how are they shooting tss?

im not to sure on the spectra shot yet...its lead loads correct? why come out with a new lead load when hevi shot and denser shot are consuming the market and are truly the best that can be had other than tss??

Killdee

I'm not seeing 300's in the 20 unless the photo is the problem. Pretty good even coverage in the 10.

nhancedsvt

Banned
I'm not seeing 300's in the 20 unless the photo is the problem. Pretty good even coverage in the 10.

I think he's saying the 10"+ all those in the 20" ring=310. I can see that.

It's a decent pattern, is it the best for that gun? Probably not, but it'll kill turkeys. Being in a group like CITW, you got to use what makes the sponsers happy so there's some give and take.

Any idea on 40 yd numbers? Too bad they don't load that in a 2 oz. #6 like Hevishot does.

icdedturkes

It looks good for 30 yards.. But there is a reason most of the patterning nuts on these boards do not post 30 yard patterns, because alot of combos will look good at 30 yards.. 35+ is when patterns begin to fall apart and especially lead.

You are very fortunate to be able to go to a maker and shoot your gun.. But I do not think the results from Jebs are extraordinary, I think if one could do that with any of the quality tube makers they would receive just as good and in some cases better, results.

im not to sure on the spectra shot yet...its lead loads correct? why come out with a new lead load when hevi shot and denser shot are consuming the market and are truly the best that can be had other than tss??

While I agree with you on the advantages of Hevi shot.. I must disagree with you on the consuming the market part. These forums provide just a glimpse of what folks are using and is heavily skewed to the folks that are extremely passionate about hunting turkeys, a small portion of those buying licenses.

With the rising costs of raw materials, the price of HTL shotshells is climbing thus making them less attractive, to Joe hunter and also manufactures as evidenced by Win and Remington bowing out of the HTL market..

I think its great a few new lead loads have come about to give other options and maybe improve performance of what is currently available in lead.

spydermon

Will they outperform the $10 turkey thug feds from wal mart? There have been some outstanding patterns put up by them.
I guess to solve everyone's curiosity and for us to see it in real format...run outside this evening and pop us a few patterns from 40 yards. Then we can really tell what you've got. That is the most common distance most shoot from. Heck who knows...it may hold together better than most lead and really open some eyes. Do that for us . Then we can come to a better conclusion.

Brad..is the 835 the only gun you shoot?

For the chokes..i guesd everyone reserves the right to opions..but the main deal im looking at here is the shells..and a good conclusion cant be obtained....by me at least...until we can see some 40 yard numbers and compare to whats out there already in the lead world. My money is still on hevi for factory stuff if i was to buy some loads..but tss personally for me.

spydermon

Yes brad....we've all seen that before. I believe im right with ya on patterns from the 7s in my short bbl 835. 330s on average..deadly and been in the 370s with nitros a good while back.

The general concensus on chokes now a day is that it basically bouls to personal preferance. You more or less pick a company you want to shoot with and then pick a load and put the constriction that work well with that load in your gun and test and go from there. Ammo has came a long ways and the choke game is getting a little less important as it used to be. You can chase numbers or you can go the simple and cheap way. All up to the individual. Any of the choke companies can recommend a good combo that will be deadly.
Now you can pick your load out then spend a lit of $$$ on more ammo and different chokes to get the best possible set up for your gun
..or you can take the recommendations and go hunt..after a test fire of course.
You have wasted a lot of your "good lot #" loads computer patterning vs putting them against gobblers heads. That cardboard can't taste that good can it???
Btw..how come you haven't tried a sumtoy...or in this case a jebs...u reference everything else but havent personally tried these two?

RUNnGUN

Sumtoy is the real deal in my opinion. Not that this matters for hunting but he won Nationals for target shooting last year and is headed back again this year! $68.00 delivered to the door is what he charges for a choke made for Hevi shot to go 40yds and out..

JimLandt

It's not bad.

Now some will say I waste shells doing this type of thing, but I say it only makes me that much smarter when it comes to chokes and loads.

Brad, I noticed on an older post you were getting good patterns with an 870 using a Ventilator .655.
1. Do you still use it and like it? Did it do well with Mag Blends?
2. What's a rough estimate of how many more pellets you got with the Ventilator over the Rem. Star Dot, that you didn't like?
3. Was your 870 Star Dot a Pittman or original Colonial (One guy on Old Gobbler said they measured slightly different inside)?
4. What percentage pattern improvement do you estimate you get out of a polished barrel? Like 5-10% or better?

Please forgive this long list of questions. Just trying to avoid a lot of back and forth.

icdedturkes

So why shoot the MagBlends.

Because the 7s hold the outer fringe of the pattern and good to 30 yards, the 6s make up the middle ring doing the work to 55 and the center core of the pattern is made up of 5s holding to 75 yards.. See Exhibit(A)

Exhibit(A)
MagBlend-Chart.jpg

dukslayer10

Spectrashot has not come out with the 2 oz. I have talked to the guy who makes them and he said that they are still testing for the 2 oz loads so they can be the best that they can. But as for a straight lead shell they are in the top of the line And yes as for them being a hunting group yes you have to keep your sponsors happy so if somebody says hey I will give you some shells to shoot for free then I dang sure wouldn't complain I would shoot them. And you also have to look at CITW is filming there not trying to shoot birds at 50-60 yards. They want them inside the 30 mark. So as for the patterning that is good for the ranges they are going to be shooting birds at

01Foreman400

Staff member
Because the 7s hold the outer fringe of the pattern and good to 30 yards, the 6s make up the middle ring doing the work to 55 and the center core of the pattern is made up of 5s holding to 75 yards.. See Exhibit(A)

Exhibit(A)
MagBlend-Chart.jpg

:rofl: :stir:

JimLandt

Brad, Thanks very much for the info. I'll probably never be as competitive as you are with your patterns, but I can appreciate how you approach your patterning as a sport in itself. Good luck and happy, tight patterns to you.

icedeturkes,

I've seen that marketing pic from Hevi-Shot before. I noticed they are no longer using it on their new ammo boxes or their website, and I'm glad. I know there are too many turkey hunters who will try this long a shot. I have not shot any Mag Blends yet, so I can't really make any intelligent commentary on how they actually pattern. I'd personally never take a 75 yard shot on any turkey. There are just too many variables, and it would be a crime against the universe itself to needlessly wound one of our beloved birds. Don't you agree?

icdedturkes

icedeturkes,

I've seen that marketing pic from Hevi-Shot before. I noticed they are no longer using it on their new ammo boxes or their website, and I'm glad. I know there are too many turkey hunters who will try this long a shot. I have not shot any Mag Blends yet, so I can't really make any intelligent commentary on how they actually pattern. I'd personally never take a 75 yard shot on any turkey. There are just too many variables, and it would be a crime against the universe itself to needlessly wound one of our beloved birds. Don't you agree?

Sad thing is, its still pictured in both the Macks PW and Cabelas catalogs..

Tom,

I know that is what Hevi-Shot says. But do you ever notice what shells are always on backorder at most places. It's not the magblends. The magblends will work. But they won't kill them any farther than what the 7's or 6's will. And nobody needs to be shooting a turkey really past even 50yds. Your pattern density core will run out of good % numbers on the MagBlends way sooner than the Hevi-13 #7's.

Brad thats not what the ad says.. And EM has always been very straightforward with their claims. facepalm: