Deadliest calls on smart birds

RUNnGUN

I would have to say that 99% of the time if a bird won't gobble to a pot, box, mouth etc.. He will gobble to a wingbone or trumpet.. What do ya'll think?

mossyoakpro

Don't know but I will find out this year....I just figured out how to use one of those crazy things. I have driven my wife crazy and have a dang raw spot on my lip from repeated use.....but I think I have it now, finally

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I've had birds that would go silent at any call. And no matter who called. I've had them run in scratching in the leaves silent.

JimLandt

And if the wing bone or trumpet won't work, I still wouldn't give up till I'd tried my tube call too.

RUNnGUN

I've about got the trumpet mastered and I love it! And yeah, some birds do go completely silent no matter what you throw at them! The tube call is a one of a kind call for sure.. I can yelp but that's it. My dad and I make tube calls and they sell like wildfire, but I just haven't mastered it yet. We have a guy that uses our tube calls and he can do anything you want to hear form purring to gobbling and everything else, and I swear I've listened on youtube and to all kind of people in person but i have never heard anyone run one like this man. It is unreal, and his son is almost has good as him, but I just can't master them, and it's really frustrating!

RUNnGUN

My grandpa has the squealing hen and he has never had any luck whatsoever with it, I really thought it was a bunch of crap to be honest.. maybe not though

Brad C.

The instructions I got with mine said if you spot a big gobbler in a field set up with you and your squealing hen call and don't worry about having a gun. Now get your buddy to go to the opposite end from you and your call behind the gobbler. Once he is set up hit the squealing hen nonstop and blow as loud as you can. Your buddy should have that bird on his lap in no time at all.

RUNnGUN

The instructions I got with mine said if you spot a big gobbler in field set up with you and your squealing hen call and don't worry about having a gun. Now get your buddy to go to the opposite end from you and your call behind the gobbler. Once he is set up hit the squealing hen several times nonstop and blow as loud as you can. Your buddy should have that bird on his lap in no time at all.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: hahaha now, that's funny

Brad C.

What's even funnier that probably will work a lot of the times in that scenario. Heck they might even change their instructions. LOL!

Brad

You cant kill birds using a trumpet. Dont even think about buying one they are too hard to learn and they are a gimmick.

JimLandt

The instructions I got with mine said if you spot a big gobbler in a field set up with you and your squealing hen call and don't worry about having a gun. Now get your buddy to go to the opposite end from you and your call behind the gobbler. Once he is set up hit the squealing hen nonstop and blow as loud as you can. Your buddy should have that bird on his lap in no time at all.

I'm sure that call would be even more effective, if the hunter first liberally sprays down the set-up area with Tink's Tom Turkey Scent (which also was an actual product you might remember about 15-20 years ago).

Similarly, I'm working on developing my own specialty turkey call:

It's called the Kamo Kazoo and is guaranteed to outperform the Squeelin' Hen call. I'll be including a spray bottle of Helga's Hot Hen Urine in all the blister packs I'm gonna sell on my late night infommericals, aired on all the major outdoor networks! :rofl:

Lumpkin Hunter

I'll find out if a wing bone will do it for me this year. I bought a hen wing bone from Brams Bones a Dillard NWTF banquet this year. I canyelp and cluck with it fairly well. I plan on using it along withMy tube call on some stubborn old birds this season. Man I can't wait till season opens, I may go listen in the morning. Shot my gun this evening, been practicing my calling for several weeks,now I'm ready to hunt.

JimLandt

On a more serious note, a tube call gobble can bring in a hung-up boss tom better than anything else I know. It scares away 2 year olds, but the bigger ones often come in strutting. The biggest I've ever killed with my bow came in to 20 yards, strutting, side-by-side with another equal-sized 4-year-old.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
As Gene Nunnery said in one of his books, the turkeys will throw enough roadblocks on new hunters, without older, more experienced hunters messin` them up. Or something to that effect.