Molybdenum Disulfide

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Seems like a few years back "MOLY" was the answer to a shooters accuracy and barrel cleaning prayers ::huh:

Did anyone use this and what were your results ??

Wonder why I don't hear a kot about it anymore??

leo

Larry Rooks

Problem with MOLY, it coats your barrel with the stuff, and once cleaned, you have to start the porcess all over again. As you clean the barrel and remove the MOLY coating, the accuracy suffers and you have to shoot enough to build the coating back up. Never ending process, you gotta clean the dang thing from time to time.

MOLY did make barrels shoot a tad cooler, less fouling when shot, but shoot enough and you gotta clean, then start all over again.

An example, I just had a customer bring in a Ruger M77 that he has had for three years, always shot tight groups with the MOLY stuff. He brought it in because the accuracy left, no grouping at all, bullets scattered everywhere.
He cleaned it when he took it out of the cabinet prior to shooting. I recleaned the barrel, shot NON MOLY bullets in it, at 100 yards, 1st two shots in one hole, as 220 yards 3 shots under one inch. He would have to shoot quite a few MOLY bullets to get his accuracy back with them

badger

What Larry said. I use it in my 270 Tikka & have no problems, providing I clean it properly after accuracy begins to suffer (This rifle seems to need a good clean after about 300 rounds using moly coated Barnes bullets) I would say that using these bullets without moly, I would have problems after 20-30 rounds, so to me, it is definitely worth using.

badger