Favorite time of day to hunt??

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I like mornings because they gobble more. But I really like from 3PM until dark. There are few if any other people out hunting. It is a harder hunt and more challenging, partly because they don't talk as much. Finally, because I have killed probably half of my birds late in the day.

Randy

I believe that if you are not there at daylight your chance of success goes down by at least 50%. That is not to say I have not killed them at all times during the day. But it gets harder as the day goes on.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I like mornings the best but afternoons are fun as well. Takes a patient hunter to hunt afternoons. The guys that don't hunt afternoons I call them part-timers. :D

JimLandt

I love hunting anytime of day, as long as it's not too hot. I think overall I've had the most success between 10:30 am and 2:30 pm. That's when birds that were henned-up earlier in the day start to come in better to calls.

Offroadtek

I like the mornings and hearing the woods wake up. But I'll hunt any evening I can also.

M Sharpe

From daylight til about 2 in the afternoon. From 2-4 has always been my dead time. This is when I generally kick back for a nap.

Jody Hawk

My favorite is right after fly down. They are usually gobbling at this time and trying to get together. I've had my most successful hunts at this time.

RUNnGUN

I love hunting anytime of day, as long as it's not too hot. I think overall I've had the most success between 10:30 am and 2:30 pm. That's when birds that were henned-up earlier in the day start to come in better to calls.

This is when I have most success, but I get out there 1st thing because I love more than anything to hear them gobble.

The way I see it is that they are on the ground at all times of the day for the most part, so as long as your in the woods you've got a chance at killing one. I like to set up in dust spots or big open fields where I know they come in and out at. I've started this year really being patient which has really worked well. Best time IMO is between 11-2 when the gobblers are looking for more ladies.

hambone76

I like the morning mostly because they usually gobble good and I love to hear the woods wake up. However, Ive killed most of my birds after 10:00 a.m. and most of my 3+ year old birds in the mid to late afternoon.

pnome

Sunrise. Beautiful time to be in the woods and a good time to hear gobbling.

spydermon

was talking with a friend about this last week...its been a good while since i killed a bird straight off the limb...killed the same bird later in the morning tho.
im there at daylight after em..then get whooped and move on to strike another one or just cover territory then back after the bird i was on at daylight.
my first two this season were at 10 or so...most birds ive killed the past few seasons have been on at least my second set ups on birds ive struck well after fly down--up til 10-11.

my third bird came late in the evening in a food plot on a misty evening..same last season as well.

the only bird killed this season off the roost was the bird my wife killed with her bow in a strut zone...straight off the roost to strut zone...between food sources and roost..we got in between the two and sit tight on a big henned up bird...worked perfectly

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
sunrise!!!!!!!!!

i kill most of my birds right after flydown!!!!

why?....because i love it when they come in from the roost gobblin and the woods are still kinda dark and the birds head is radioactive glowing blue!
i love that sight!

i turkey hunt for the noise first and the meat second.
i have no care in the world to sit there and wait for a turkey for hours and never hear him.
although i know there is success in doing so! it's just not my cup of tea.

aj.hiner

I like first light. And I'm proud to say I'm a part timer...it only takes part-time hunting to kill my birds:cool: