Just how good a turkey caller are ya?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Several years ago, sitting in a hollow in Macon Co Alabama i was working a gobbler who had refused to come to a call for at least a week.
But this morning i was setup on the opposite side of his roost from where i had during the first of the week. His first gobble sounded and i knew i was in the right place, about 40 yards away. Then in the dark i saw what was thought to be a bobcat circling me and going up the hill. Nothing more was heard from the tree, but when day came, he gobbled right above me, next level up. I couldn't move or turn around, so i was cornered. It was the gobbler i saw in the dark. Soon, here came a hen walking right by my feet and going south. The gobbler saw and joined her to my left out at about 50 yards. With nothing to lose, i called, the gobbler folded up his strut and came right down my barrel. Boom and to this day that ol bird has been hanging on my wall in a flying mount. Now, here's the truth. Either i'm one of the best turkey callers in the South, or that was the ugliest hen in the woods.

Attachments

• 100_1485.jpg
    100_1485.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 1,263

M80

Useles Billy’s Spiritual Counselor
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while

:rofl::rofl: ::ke:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Come on now ya'll, i'm trying to get a little credit for beating a live hen.

Attachments

• Spring 2010 Son.jpg
    Spring 2010 Son.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 923

M Sharpe

I bet there has been a few fall to that set-up there!!

M80

Useles Billy’s Spiritual Counselor
Hey brother I'm proud you killed the bird just had to poke a little. Anytime you do what is against nature and have a mature bird come in and harvest him it is truly an amazing experience. I once patterned a gobbler for three days and on the third day I ate a biscuit, drank a couple cups of coffee and right on time at 9:30 he eased over the hill and I got him without even calling. Truly it wasn't as fun as him coming in gobbling, but he ate good. Congratulations on your bird

HucK Finn

This may just be me, but I have made an observation in my years spent in the turkey woods.

It seems that the minutes after flydown, the bull is trying to corral as many hens as possible before they go on their mid morning walk about.

You said he was 50 yds away... He may have been thinking that two is better than one, and was willing to make a 50 yd track to pick up another hen.... any further than that he may have not bothered. I doubt he was willing to leave that hen completely, but at only 50 yds he may have been trying to pick you up, and as well as keep other hen.

IMO he may have came in at that range even if he had 2-3 hens with him....

Great Bird, Congrats! and maybe you are prettier than you think. ::ke:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hey, i don't mind the ribbing, i'm good at that myself.

Yes, the old 12 and lynch box has put many a gobbler to rest. Here's the most colorful gobbler i've ever taken. 26 pounds from Miller Co. Ga.

Attachments

• March07.jpg
    March07.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 665

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Blind squirrel, yep, that's true. But in my case, i usually wake up from a nap just in time to shoot the gobbler before he tears my decoy up.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 521

Ricochet

Right on, it must have been your calling! ;) Congrats! :)

deersled

I think the majority of birds get killed because of the setup and the mood of that particular bird on that particular day...not the calling. We like to think we can make birds do things they don't want to do, but I don't buy it. Too many stories about hot birds just not coming that last few yards and then the ones that come running to the barrel. I've chased birds for hours and then on the umph-teen setup....he comes right to me. go figure.

Very nice bird, Son. Dont matter how he came....you got him.

Ricochet

I think the majority of birds get killed because of the setup and the mood of that particular bird on that particular day...not the calling. We like to think we can make birds do things they don't want to do, but I don't buy it. Too many stories about hot birds just not coming that last few yards and then the ones that come running to the barrel. I've chased birds for hours and then on the umph-teen setup....he comes right to me. go figure.

Very nice bird, Son. Dont matter how he came....you got him.
I agree with that - calling helps but setup/location and the mood of the bird has the most to do with it.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've found it really helps to be where the gobbler wants to go. And it takes days to figure that out sometimes. Some are decoy shy, some are not. I've even seen old hens that would shy from a popup blind.
Some may think i'm kidding about naps in the blind. But it works almost like having patience. It keeps you from relocating too soon, and running off a gobbler that may be slipping in. It's a bad season so far this year. Had plenty turkeys just before season, but they moved off to the north. I can hear em over there, but they're not coming on the land i hunt. They must have some feed up there.
Hope the rest of ya are having a successful season.