What dekes do you use?

Pneumothorax

I have a couple of old (older than you ;)) Feather Flex hens and one jake. The hens look like this only mine aren't nearly as well shaped anymore:

412828_L1

On the hunts when I've used these decoys, every single time the gobbler ignored the hens and went straight for the jake. I always set the jake up facing me so that when the gobbler squares off with him his fan blocks his view. More of a bowhunting trick but it works well with a shotgun too! If I could only pick one decoy to use it would be the jake.

JimLandt

I'm taking a couple of Feather-flex hens this weekend. I haven't made up my mind whether I'm actually gonna use 'em. I'll probably flip a coin to decide whether they'll do more harm than good, when I see the set-up spots. Mine are so old, I had to re-paint them! :bounce: They look better now than when they were new.

I'll be trying to call in my girlfriend's first turkey, if she'll wake up on time and climb up the mountain with me... I'm lucky she's a really good sport. If she decides not to get up, she's happy to hang out at camp until I get back for lunch. I've still got one tag left for a mountain gobbler, but I'd sure like to help her fill her first ever.

Since I hunt public land, so many gobblers have already seen decoys, along with people wearing camo with guns, by this late in the season, I only use decoys in certain circumstances. Sometimes they spook turkeys and sometimes the turkeys come right in. Most of my decoy flock, that I've assembled over many years, spend their sad, miserable lives folded up in the dark, in my hunting closet.

Last edited:

hoppie

Ghost decoys, it keeps them looking harder. :bounce:

stringmusic

Redhead reality series hen

nhancedsvt

Banned
Mallard Hot Buys and GHG wood ducks. Dekes are for duck hunting.

Last edited:

goblr77

I don't use decoys when hunting in the woods. I've had more success making the bird come looking. I have a couple pieces of property with near zero woods access so I will pull out a full strut decoy (Killer B) and a hen(PHD) or a jake and hen combo. It's very hard to set up on the outside edge of a wood line and pull a bird away from hens when he can't see another one. Field birds are killable without decoys if you can set up back in the woods and call them out. Sometimes that's not an option with property limitations though.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
This:

mose

"Invisi Deke" by Nature........ever since I loaned my set to a buddy.facepalm:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Any of em will work, just remember to put some lipstick on the hens.