Made me laugh...

Huntinfool

While I was sitting listening to 2 gobblers this morning (who were being hard headed), for some reason I thought about the very first turkey I ever killed.

Looking back on it, I wish I had a video camera on me because any seasoned turkey hunter would have been doubled over laughing at me. I think I'm at a point in my life when I can laugh at it now too.

Two things struck me as the most funny about the whole thing. First, two longbeards came in silent to the little 1/4 acre food plot I was sitting on. It was an afternoon hunt and I'm about 99.99% sure they just happened to be passing through and it had absolutely nothing to do with the slate call that I had in my hands.

But, as they were walking in, I could hear the leaves crunching under their feet and I literally froze because I was POSITIVE that two grown men were about to walk into my food plot...and I didn't know who they were or why they were there. All sorts of terrible murderous thoughts ran through my brain. Why were these men on my property and what were their intentions?!

Once I finally realized that these were actual turkeys and I hadn't spooked them, I raised my gun and somehow managed to miss not one but TWO turkeys at about 10 steps! As I gathered myself, I racked another shell and fired off another round as they were running out of the plot. I assume my pattern must have been big enough at 40 yards that even I could hit a moving target. In any case, thank the good Lord for 3.5" Hevishot at that moment.

Well, I had killed my first turkey....or so I thought. Why was he flopping? Did I not just kill him? What the heck am I supposed to do now? (can you tell I had no turkey hunting mentor?).

Do I shoot him again at point blank range? Well, no, somehow I just didn't think that would be the right thing to do. So...what was my solution to this bird who was obviously not dead and flopping? I did what any turkey hunter who had never killed a turkey and didn't realize that this dieing bird would quit flopping eventually would do.

I raised the butt of my LOADED gun in the air and tried to crush his head with it! Well, that didn't really work well because I had a Sims pad on the butt and all I was doing was just mashing him up really good with what must have felt like a really firm pillow!

Realizing that wasn't working, it never occured to me to simply step on his neck. No No! I'm going to do this the right way! So I grabbed a huge like 10 pound rock and proceded to throw it at his head multiple times hoping i would just crush his head and "put him out of his misery" that way. By the time I got done with him, he was indeed dead. Looked like his head had been put through a meat grinder....but dead none-the-less.

I promise, I laughed out loud this morning thinking back on that.

I hereby apologize to that turkey, wherever he may be, for not giving him the dignified death that such a majestic bird should have gotten. I hope that he understands the mis-steps of a rookie and can forgive me.

tony2001577

cool story ! made me laugh too .........
live and learn , next time will be different .

stringmusic

Funny story HF!:rofl:

I LOL'd at the "beating with the firm pillow"

Ricochet

LOL Good story!

It actually sounds similar to my first kill...afternoon hunt, small food plot, hear him walk through some leaves, gobbler walks into food plot (I patterned him), Hevi-13 smashing him at 40+, flopping, me standing over him and wondering what do I do next (no turkey hunting mentor either), flops into creek, oh yeah - put a boot to his head (drowned him). LOL :bounce:

Last edited:

hoppie

Funny story. Makes me thankful I had a mentor. I have screwed up many times and still do even having a mentor.

Toddmann

I was calling for a friend many years ago and at 20 yds he shoots the turkey and he goes straight down and starts flopping he jumps up and I am thinking he is gonna run over there to stand on his head. After he jumps up he shoulders his gun again and body shoots the bird. I say, " man what are you doing" and he says I thought he was gonna try and flop off. I am like flop off where? He says, I don't know somewhere. I don't like all that flopping. So then I realized I had failed to explain the flopping. I just assumed he knew.

Offroadtek

LOL at HUntinfool and Todd. I stabbed a turkey in the neck this year cause I didn't know to step on it. Bloodiest hike to the truck EVER. Looked like I'd been shot in the leg when I got back.

stringmusic

I was calling for a friend many years ago and at 20 yds he shoots the turkey and he goes straight down and starts flopping he jumps up and I am thinking he is gonna run over there to stand on his head. After he jumps up he shoulders his gun again and body shoots the bird. I say, " man what are you doing" and he says I thought he was gonna try and flop off. I am like flop off where? He says, I don't know somewhere. I don't like all that flopping. So then I realized I had failed to explain the flopping. I just assumed he knew.

LOL at HUntinfool and Todd. I stabbed a turkey in the neck this year cause I didn't know to step on it. Bloodiest hike to the truck EVER. Looked like I'd been shot in the leg when I got back.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Huntinfool

I promise...if it had occurred to me to stab that turkey, I dang sure would have. It just so happened that "pick up the rock dummy" hit my brain first.

I can remember panicing and looking around for some help as if some magical turkey hunting fairy was going to come out of the woods and show me what to do.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I needed a good laugh this afternoon.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Lol that's funny. I wish someone would have taken video of me tackling them on the ground or walking to the truck getting flogged half to death. It's fun to learn on your own.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
:rofl: great story!!!!!!

i had a mentor but when i shot my first turkey he was 50 yards and and 2 minutes behind me.
when i got close to my flopping turkey i went to reload my pump shotgun...i couldn't figure out why the pump wouldn't slide back...then i realized it had slid all the way back and ejected the spent shell on its own!
then i racked a new one....stood 8 steps back...and aimed about 5 or 6 inches away from his head....(figureing the outer shot would hit his head a dozen times)....well that shot went into the ground about the size of a quarter 5 inches from the birds head....

my mentor, good friend and neighbor, kinda like a big brother......he asked me what the heck i was doin!!!!????

i franticaly told him i was tryin to kill the turkey and i hope he doesn't get away!!!!!

my friend calmly laughed and simply said...just stand on his head, he'll quit in a minute.