Spooked birds

greggt4736

I'm new to turkey hunting and still just getting a handle on the basics and any help is greatly appreciated.

Saturday morning a friend and I set up at daybreak in a field where 3-4 gobblers were sounding off in the woods just off the edge of the field. I hit a few yelps on the slate and we waited. The gobbles seemed to get farther away so we decided to move in closer after about an hour. As we were moving down the road towards the back of the field we spotted a huge coyote (looked to be nearly lab sized) running across the middle of the field regretfully out of gun range. Then we saw 2 hens and a tom at the end of the field about 100 yds from us. Then one of the hens spotted us. There we were looking like two goofballs, the hen had her inquisitive head cocked sideways at my friend who had a rolled decoy in one hand. It took what seemed like an eternity and she finally looked away so we hit the deck and duck walked to the field edge and called from there. One of the gobblers we heard behind us moved in and was responding to my calls and got maybe within 30 yards on his closest gobble before moving back out. The birds that busted us never showed. We finally decided to call it a day before we spooked the birds anymore than we already had.

Well, I couldn't handle it and against my better judgement I went back this morning. The daybreak gobbles were few and far in between this morning. We setup in a log pile right behind where my friend and I had spotted the 3 turkeys the day before. A cutting and yelping hen came right up behind the log pile before taking off from what sounded like right on top of our heads. We called it a day again shortly after being busted for the second time.

Will taking the pressure off for a week or so help my cause or am I pretty much done now that I have been busted twice? I know the only way I'll know is if I try but I'm wondering if any vets can give some insight on what to try in this situation besides taking the pressure off.

GaDeerSlayer

No, you are not done until the turkeys are dead. Just have to change it up a bit. Get settled in where the turkeys were headed the first day when they went the other way. Get to where they seem to be going and do not call much at all. If they gobble at you, put the call down and wait him out. I know it's fun to hear them gobble at you, but if you continue to call at him, 99% of the time he will commit. Listen to what the other turkeys are doing and copy them. If the hens are aggressive, get more aggressive. If they are quiet, stay quiet- just enough calling to let him know you are there. The set up is the most important aspect of the hunt. Don't sit right on the edge of the field where you can see the whole thing. Instead, back off 30-40 yards where you can just see the edge. I'd get in there EARLY and set up where they are going, not where they are. Good luck!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
think of more scenarios and possiblities before you make a move.

you and yer buddy may have heard roosted birds at the edge of your feild.
somtimes it suddenly sounds as if theur moving away when simply they just flew down from their roost.
and watched you and yer friend cross the field.

if birds are answering yer calls then your calling is great!
important for you to know as a newcomer is that it is easier to call in a turkey than is is to be a great competition caller. don't get the two confused or mixed and don't over do it!
another thing very very very important for you as a beginner is to remember what i think is the most important turkey hunt knowledge is know that the gobble is a call to assemble.
now i love to hear them gobble more than anybody!
but the more we heat him up and get him gobblin his head off the less he's coming to you. the more he expects your coming to him.

when your talkin to him and you can feel that he's aknowledged you, is interested and is coming to you!!! call sparing!!! the less he's gobbleing the faster he's moving!!

these are just my opinions and here's another one.
turkey memory.
if you spook birds on monday and leave them alone on teusday. i don't think they have the brain capacity to remember suit on wednsday.
i do beleive they can create a habit by repitition. if you call from the same spot every mornin and bust the same birds on the road bed every mornin i beleive they will pick up on it.

but i don't think you have to wait till next week to hunt that flock again.
hunt them when you can!

and like a guy said above me....set up! set up set up set up!!
pay attention that your hidden real good! have a good shot all around you!

good luck and post a pic of a dead gobbler!!!

bullit

As previously stated... if you make a call and he gobbles, it is time to wait, be still, be very observant, and be patient... it's easy to over-call because that gobbling is awesome.
I've had some that gobbled but find out they are with hens and they just won't leave the real deal...but then I've gotten aggressive and called in the hen and guess who follows! I say that and realize I shot a bird this year that was with at least 1 hen and another gobbler, but for some reason he split off and came to me... they are just unpredictable, at least for me.
Also, years ago, wife and I watched 5 in open field one morning for 30 mins, they were 3-400 yards out... I'd call occasionally just to mess with em, then they started the other way and I figured WTH, I really got aggressive and loud... dang if they didn't turn around and head my way, it was a hen, nice gobbler and 3 jakes, shot the gobbler and the jakes jumped him as he was a flopping, that pecking order changed right before our eyes :)
When I started turkey hunting an old timer told me... if he gobbles to your call, he's coming, just give him time! It may be a few minutes or few hours, but he's coming!
I use a mouth call and love to mess with em... turning my head around (if I know they can't see the movement) and yelp / cluck / purr or whatever seems to make em think I'm heading away from them and that has worked for me a few times.
My problem is finding birds that gobble... yesterday AM Randolph Co only 1 gobble way off... after lunch in Terrell Co no gobbles but called in 5 jakes to 15-20 yards, fun ... this AM in Terrell Co a big nothing and stayed in the woods until lunch!
Dang turkeys! But they sure are fun :biggrin2: