** Back from Oklahoma -- Daddy's bird

Kevin Farr

Well, it was a looonng trip and an even looooonnnnngggeerrr hunt to put it mildly. Things were not even close to being as expected. We were very fortunate for my daddy to get a bird, which was the #1 goal anyway. My daughter was the #2 goal, but even though she was close, it just didn't work out. She had the safety off and was about to pull the trigger on 2 longbeards, but it just didn't happen. 40 mph winds, extreme cold temps, massive hail storm (my truck is a victim), etc. etc. It was definitely not an experience that I was wanting for my daddy or daughter. She can go back, but my daddy can't. This was his only chance to get a Rio and again, I'm so thankful that he did.

Even though it doesn't look like it in the pic, he is happy as can be. The Parkinson's pretty well keeps him from having any expressions. And it was COLD as you can tell.

Attachments

• Daddy's Rio - small.JPG
    Daddy's Rio - small.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 519

turkeyed

Congrats to your father Kevin. I wish you all could have limited out but conditions across that part of the country were tough to say the least. Several members here have been hunting out that way and seeing it first hand. Sorry to hear about your truck but the most important thing is that every is back safe. Three generations hunting together will make for great memories.

sman

Still a successful trip. One bird or 10! Those conditions plus your father's can make any hunt tuff. Congrats!

Burney Mac

Big congrats to you and your father. I know what it's like hunting with your father who doesn't get around quite as well as he used to. It makes every hunt that much more special!

Luke0927

That's a picture worth framing, congrats.

M Sharpe

Congrats to your father Kevin. Those are memories you won't soon forget.

Canvasback27

Congratulations on a fine bird for your dad.

Pneumothorax

Man, sounds like some tough conditions! Congrats on gettin' it done anyway! The warm, sunny, easy hunts aren't necessarily the best ones. Pretty bird!

ryanwhit

Congrats to both of you!!!

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Glad your Dad got him a Rio! Your Daughter will get another chance one day! Congratulations on a great hunt for your Dad! I wish I could experience another hunt with my Dad! Way to go Kevin! Remember these times forever!
Tim

GADAWGS

Congrats to your daddy Kevin. That is a memory you will keep for a very long time.

albridges

Man that is a great story! I would say that your little girls smile say it all for your dad as well!

Kevin Farr

Thanks everyone.

Grace did have a chance at 2 longbeards our 1st day right at lunch time. I had called them to 30 yds and they were in full strut. She had the safety off and was waiting for them to raise their head for the shot when the guy drove up to check on us and ran them off. He didn't know we were in the woods and didn't realize what he did. So those 2 longbeards caught a break that would have been different in literally a few more seconds. Oh well. Memories ........

It was a special hunt, as they all are. But each one is more special now because I can see that Daddy's turkey hunting is about over. He enjoys it to the utmost and turkey hunting and grandkids are what seem to motivate him the most. Sad to see that he is losing one of those things. But we are squeezing all we can out of it for him. ....... But who knows, he could still be turkey hunting 10-15 years from now.