Why do they go quiet after a rain!?

BANDERSNATCH

Saturday and Sunday morning; gobbling their heads off. Rains Sunday evening.....Monday morning overcast and muggy; nary a single gobble!

What is it about Monday's weather that shut them down? One guy mentioned barometric pressure causing it. What the heck would that have to do with it though!?

Bandy

RUNnGUN

If you read more posts around this forum you will find guys talking about the barometric pressure and birds gobbling. I'm not sure how it works, but I did a little research on it, and it seems like the pressure actually has a lot to do with whether or not the birds gobble. I'm just not sure what pressure is good for gobbling and what isn't. I saw one place that said anything over 30 and the birds gobbled good, I've never tested out the theory though.

Big Ras

I've been noticing when the neighbors rooster is crowing the turkeys are gobbling. Maybe ill start a log and see if there is a trend to the conditions he crows in.

MCNASTY

Turkeys can be fair weather just like fishermen. Actually they will gobble a lot of times within minutes of the rain quitting and the sun coming back out. I've always heard that anything over 30 in the barometric pressure is good. For the most part it's true, but there's always an exception to any rule so don't hang your hat completely on that theory.

Gut_Pile

I have heard turkeys burn down the woods in every condition out there, but generally the clear high pressure mornings they gobble much better. All animals react better to a clear high pressure day. If you pay attention on these days you will see and hear a lot more wildlife.

They are a lot like us, we are more active on clear high pressure days than nasty low pressure days.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I killed one the morning after severe weather. It was cloudy and breezy that morning and they gobbled good. I studied barometric pressure last year. Saw nothing conclusive at all. The second time of severe weather this year they did not gobble till the second morning after. All I can tell you that in my 20 + years hunting them is if the whippoorwill is singing before daylight and other song birds crank up at daylight, the turkeys will more than likely light it up.

Killdee

Also sometimes especially this late in the season they are traveling looking for hens and may be a mile away from where you heard them the day before.

smitty

Had one hot Tom a few weeks back tearing it up in the rain , it had rained off and on that am with a few downpours soaking us all ! I tried to position myself closer in one downpour and was within 50 yards and neither me or him knowing it till he flew down. My calls were wet and my small talk was of no intrest As he fed around for an hour and me passing on several 50 yard shots waiting on a closer shot ! After several fronts this year passing through the days before and after always seem slower with little to no gobbling ???

SGaither

This is the third year that I've watched the barometric pressure in relation to gobbling birds and can say from what I've observed when the pressure is 30 and rising I have heard higher number of gobbling then when the pressure is less than 30. Now, this doesn't mean I don't hunt when the pressure isn't rising but I'm more confident I'm going to hear a bird or birds gobble. I have heard birds gobble when the pressure is less and or falling, just not as much.

deersled

I've never studied barometric pressure. I've had em gobbling during a thunder and lightening downpour and also not gobble on a perfect morning. They either gonna gobble or not. Who knows.

critterslayer

I killed my first on a gloomy, overcast day, before a rain. 3 different toms were gobbling their heads off!

Ricochet

I killed one the morning after severe weather. It was cloudy and breezy that morning and they gobbled good. I studied barometric pressure last year. Saw nothing conclusive at all. The second time of severe weather this year they did not gobble till the second morning after. All I can tell you that in my 20 + years hunting them is if the whippoorwill is singing before daylight and other song birds crank up at daylight, the turkeys will more than likely light it up.
I only know clear crisp (cool) mornings seem to be better than most for gobbling. BTW, I have heard a whippoorwill the past 2 weeks at my clubhouse before daylight and the birds have been tight lipped. :huh:

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I only know clear crisp (cool) mornings seem to be better than most for gobbling. BTW, I have heard a whippoorwill the past 2 weeks at my clubhouse before daylight and the birds have been tight lipped. :huh:

Your whipoorwill ain't right. :bounce: I guess we won't ever figure out what sets them off to be honest. My birds used to hammer at 10am or later. Last 2 seasons they quiet down at 8:30. Crazy is what they are.

Ricochet

Your whipoorwill ain't right. :bounce: I guess we won't ever figure out what sets them off to be honest. My birds used to hammer at 10am or later. Last 2 seasons they quiet down at 8:30. Crazy is what they are.
:bounce: Yeah, the SC subspecies of the whippoorwill might be different. ;) I don't think we will ever know what makes them gobble good or not. :banginghe