crows coming to hen yelps

bullit

Just curious if anyone has observed such as this...
On a few occasions I've been set-up to do some 10-15 minute apart cold calling in hopes of making something happen, several times after yelps, etc... I've noticed crows come a looking... I figure they're seeking a turkey nest for egg robbing or looking for poults.
Assume it ain't my poor calling :O
Anyhow, just curious if others have noticed such, I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I knew this a long time ago. Crows follow turkeys. They are mainly watching the hens to see where their eggs are and then they rob the nest. They also do it to my guineas.

I have heard crows in the distance and eased up to find turkeys. They definitely follow turkeys.

oldugahat

I've used crows to locate several public land strut zones deep in the woods when the birds wouldn't talk. Just be careful when they come to check you out. I think pressured turkeys pay a lot more attention to alarm calls than hunters often give them credit for.

Big Ras

Yeah I noticed the same thing when I really get going on the call here come the crows.

TenPtr

Crows often pester turkeys as they do with hawks. I have found that they prefer to pick on gobblers more so than hens but this nest raiding theory makes perfect sense to me. I have noticed certain crow vocalizations which are used simultaneously during the process of dive bombing/swooping down from tree to tree as they pester a gobbler/turkey. The unique "gargle'' sound (similar to what you expect to hear from a parrot) combined with the pestering swoop = Turkey.......likely to be a gobbler. Crows will get on turkeys at first light and follow them throughout the day.... Crows will often tell you exactly where turkeys are and which direction they are travelling. Pay attention to crow behavior because it reveals a great deal of vital information. When you notice crows hopping from tree to tree intermittently dive bombing down....swooping back up.....and making a vocal ruckus with unusual gargling noises mixed in.... They are more than likely on a gobbler(s) or turkeys in general. My experience has taught me that crows prefer to pick on gobblers more than hens. I have never really noticed crows being attracted to my calling but it does make sense why they would be interested in nesting hens.

Burney Mac

Crows often pester turkeys as they do with hawks. I have found that they prefer to pick on gobblers more so than hens but this nest raiding theory makes perfect sense to me. I have noticed certain crow vocalizations which are used simultaneously during the process of dive bombing/swooping down from tree to tree as they pester a gobbler/turkey. The unique "gargle'' sound (similar to what you expect to hear from a parrot) combined with the pestering swoop = Turkey.......likely to be a gobbler. Crows will get on turkeys at first light and follow them throughout the day.... Crows will often tell you exactly where turkeys are and which direction they are travelling. Pay attention to crow behavior because it reveals a great deal of vital information. When you notice crows hopping from tree to tree intermittently dive bombing down....swooping back up.....and making a vocal ruckus with unusual gargling noises mixed in.... They are more than likely on a gobbler(s) or turkeys in general. My experience has taught me that crows prefer to pick on gobblers more than hens. I have never really noticed crows being attracted to my calling but it does make sense why they would be interested in nesting hens.

Those are some good points. Crows will definetly give you some tell tell signs that may make a difference in the hunt. My experience has been more with toms, or a group of jakes rather than hens.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Always pay attention to crows. They'll tell you where the turkeys are!

They'll also let you know where the deer are too.

Back in early April, I was standing in a road, and noticed a crow hopping from limb to limb, looking down, calling, and coming right to me.

Soon enough, I noticed a doe easing through the pines heading right towards me.

I eased off the road and hid behind a pine. She crossed the road 20yds in front of me with that pesky crow giving her a hard time the entire time.