question about food plot

bradpatt03

the first year we bought our property we plowed up a little 1 acre food plot next to our pond. we planted it with nothing but mossy oak biologic (fall blend). the deer had ate it to the ground before gun season even started. the following year, we planned on doing 2 or 3 food plots about 2 acres a peice. we couldn't afford that much bio logic so we figured out what all was in it (clover, oats, etc). the deer hardly touched it. we tried them again this year and same story. is there somethin special about the bi logic or is it that when there's only one plot it does better?

H

HT2

Brad.....

We have had a couple of fellers plant bio-logic a couple of times at our lease and the deer won't touch the stuff!!!!!!!! It grows like crazy, but they just won't have anything to do with it.....

We usually plant rye, oats, and wheat with a little austrian winter peas in it as well.......

We've also planted clover this year for the first time, and the deer are absolutely tearin' the stuff up......We will be planting the majority of our plots in clover next fall....... :cool:

gadeerwoman

The problem with planting clover as a fall plot is that unless you are talking arrowleaf clover, the clover is not going to put on much growth during the fall. It is trying to establish a root system. Most clovers will really begin to grow in late winter and early spring, after hunting season ends. If you are intending to use the plots as a hunting draw you'll definitely need something else for a draw during hunting season. Add some brassicas to the plot or some wheat or rye. Deer can quickly eat up even a large plot if it's nothing but clover. They mowed down one fairly large plot of well established clover (9 month old field) that was 8" high. Within one week the entire field was eaten down to 1" tall. All this within the past 3 weeks.

TJay

I agree with D2D, even tho I'm no food plot guru I've found out first hand how important adding lime to get the correct ph level is to a food plot.