Uses For A Deer

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This question was brought up by Dutchman, Sugar Hill Scouter, and myself Saturday and we thought it would make for a good discussion. We all know that everything on a hog is used except for the squeel. How many uses do ya`ll think can be used for deer? :pop:

LJay

Retired Mod
Well, I don't really know of anything that can't be put to use.

RJY66

I read somewhere that You COULD (but probably would not want to)

Make leather out of the hide using the deer's brain to tan it.

Make a knife handle out of the antlers....or some other craft.

Make soap from the tallow that you trim away.

Of course I don't know how to do any of these things but they could be done.:D

RatherBHuntin

I've made a possibles bag for my brother and a purse for his wife with hides from deer I shot, some of it buckskin and some of it with hair on, plus toggles and buttons with antler. Also made some knife handles with antlers. Made my 5yr old son a slick oil skin cowboy vest with another deer, and a quiver and knife case for me.
I want to make a gun rack with the legs and hooves sometime. Want to use a deers own sinew as well.

You can make glue out of boiled hide.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
They use deer hair especially those from the tail in the making of flies for fly fishing.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
All good uses, except for Phils` pickled ear!! :rofl: :whip:

Anymore?

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Two legs bent 90 degrees as a gun holder.

dutchman

According to what I've learned by reading Nick's posts and listening to him speak on the subject, we've missed a few.

Bones can be used to make all manner of useful items. Awls, needles, and other tools can all be made from bone. Ya'll have named several items that antler is used to make. Hides, too.

I've heard Nick talk about glue being made from hooves.

Anybody got any good ideas for items that could be made from the entrails?

S

Sugar Hill Scouter

Nick, glad to see you created this thread. So far, some things useful, some things not so useful....:bounce:
Looking forward to hearing some more...

ed'sboy

Stomach and bladder can both be used as a canteen. Someone mentioned earlier about the brain. My understanding is every animal has enough tanic acid in its brain to tan its own hide.
Don't forget to use the tail as a fly swatter.:)

hunterb

never heard of it being done, but have wondered about using the esophagus as a grunt tube?....ah i'm crazy.....lol