Your thoughts on John Macaarthur

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
What are your thoughts on him and his Strange Fire Conference and self titled book. If you haven't heard of it you owe it to yourself to look into this. I think what he's doing is going to have some lasting consequences on the Church as a whole. I have my thoughts about him, but I wanted more input from some of you heavy hitters to maybe broaden my perspective before I post them.

Artfuldodger

The Charismatic Movement is the international trend of historically mainstream congregations adopting beliefs and practices similar to Pentecostals. Fundamental to the movement is the use of spiritual gifts. Among Protestants, the movement began around 1960. Among Roman Catholics, it originated around 1967.

So this Strange Fire Conference is to show he doesn't agree with gifts of the Holy Spirit? Is it another "the Bible vs the Holy Spirit debate?"
I never knew the Charismatic Movement was started by Hippies:

"Ninety percent of the people around the world connected to the Charismatic movement take ownership of the prosperity gospel," he said. "Twenty-four to 25 million of them deny the trinity. One hundred million of them are Roman Catholics. This is not some fringe; this is the movement. And it is growing at a rapid rate."

According to MacArthur, the Charismatic movement is an "alien movement" whose roots can be traced back to 1966 when the hippies of San Francisco moved to Orange County and joined Calvary Chapel and the "barefoot, drug-induced young people told the church how the church should act." he said. "Hymns and suits went out. For the first time in the history of the church, the conduct of the church was conformed to a sub-culture that was born of LSD and marijuana."

http://www.christianpost.com/news/j...-fire-conference-is-divisive-unloving-107051/

jmharris23

I think he's right more than he is wrong. I appreciate his strong stand on God's word. He is a gifted teacher and expositor. He's just a man. This is what I think about John MacArthur.

Artfuldodger

I do believe as he does on Jesus being Lord & Savior.(Lordship Salvation)
He is more Fundamental than I am on the Bible and his beliefs on the Holy Spirit. I don't believe the Holy Spirit grants gifts but does offer miraculous guidance.
I don't see the need for a conference. I've been to many Holiness Baptist Campground meetings. The attendees looked like Christians to me.
I'm not a follower of the Charismatic movement either but I could worship with them, until they ask for money.

Last edited:

clayservant

I would not walk across the street to hear what he has to say, his whole ministry is tearing down other Ministries. his has no power and I believe he is jealous of those that do. and while we are on this When has God ever said the gifts of the Spirit would only be a tease to those that need it? God did not heal people, and set people free, and raise the dead, just to show off his power, he did it to show US how to do it and he NEVER SAID STOP..... the gifts are for today more than ever and with it comes power to show GODS power and bring glory to him. I don,t see how some of you can think God just came to earth to play with us for 33 years and do great things just to say na, na, na, na ,na and stop it and say see what I can DO?........unreal people..God is the same yesterdat, Today and forever.

clayservant

Make up your mind. Is he tearing down other ministries or is he powerless?

John 9:3 :huh:

OK you cannot understand this with out verse 4 , well just take the whole thing in context...
John 9:2-5
King James Version (KJV)

2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents........that he was born blind?

3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

The first thing you MUST understand is that there were NO
Commas, Periods, Exclamation Points, semicolons, colons, dashes, in the original text, they were ALL ADDED by the translators. also Jesus was a man of FEW words. that being said, it should read this way....

3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents. but that the works of God should be made manifest in him 4 I must work the works of him that sent me while it is day:

the night cometh, when no man can work.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

1st - The Azusa Street Revival was a historic Pentecostal revival meeting that took place in Los Angeles, California and is the origin of the Pentecostal movement. It was led by William J. Seymour, an African American preacher. It began with a meeting on April 9, 1906, and continued until roughly 1915. The Charismatic movement came as a result of many mainstream denominations beginning to embrace the Pentecostal movement. But the real truth is it began in Jesus Christ, who sent out the twelve, and who poured out His Spirit on the day Pentecost to 120 gathered in the upper room. It never ceased, though many will claim it so.

In other words, it did not initiate with the hippies in 1966.

2nd - I have not listened to anything John MacArthur teaches since his cessationist views were identified. Concerning this conference, nothing good comes from attacking the bretheren and for this reason alone, I say false teacher, at least concerning this subject and I hope he repents. There is no love in attacking believers! And what about attacks is doing anything to make the body of Christ one?

John 17
20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.

I know many of my Pentecostal and Charismatic family will welcome you with open arms. Come as you are! That's what my current Baptist church has done for me. All Mr. MacArthur needs to do is the same. Embrace others in the love of Christ!

3rd - Scripture says
Joel 2 ( Also quoted by Peter in Acts 2)
28 “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions.
29 Even on the male and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit.
30 “And I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and columns of smoke. 31 The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes. 32 And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Acts 2
38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”

God Bless!

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

OK you cannot understand this with out verse 4 , well just take the whole thing in context...
John 9:2-5
King James Version (KJV)

2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents........that he was born blind?

3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

The first thing you MUST understand is that there were NO
Commas, Periods, Exclamation Points, semicolons, colons, dashes, in the original text, they were ALL ADDED by the translators. also Jesus was a man of FEW words. that being said, it should read this way....

3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents. but that the works of God should be made manifest in him 4 I must work the works of him that sent me while it is day:

the night cometh, when no man can work.

I do like your version better as it follows my free will beliefs, but I gotta ask: Why wasn't the punctuation in the Bible "inspired?" It makes all the difference in the world.

I'm reminded of the "today you will be with me in paradise comma" that might be in the wrong place also.

mossyback8874

I agree with pretty much everything he says. There's not been one movement that's produced more false teaching and heretics than the Charasmatic movement. As far as I'm concerned, this movement has done more to harm Christianity than any other. Of course, it's just my opinion

centerpin fan

I know many of my Pentecostal and Charismatic family will welcome you with open arms. Come as you are! That's what my current Baptist church has done for me.

Would your church ever invite Todd Bentley to speak?

SemperFiDawg

1st - The Azusa Street Revival was a historic Pentecostal revival meeting that took place in Los Angeles, California and is the origin of the Pentecostal movement. It was led by William J. Seymour, an African American preacher. It began with a meeting on April 9, 1906, and continued until roughly 1915. The Charismatic movement came as a result of many mainstream denominations beginning to embrace the Pentecostal movement. But the real truth is it began in Jesus Christ, who sent out the twelve, and who poured out His Spirit on the day Pentecost to 120 gathered in the upper room. It never ceased, though many will claim it so.

In other words, it did not initiate with the hippies in 1966.

2nd - I will not listen to anything John MacArthur teaches. Nothing good comes from attacking the bretheren and for this reason alone, I say false teacher, and I hope he repents. There is no love in attacking believers! And what about attacks is doing anything to make the body of Christ one?

John 17
20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.

I know many of my Pentecostal and Charismatic family will welcome you with open arms. Come as you are! That's what my current Baptist church has done for me. All Mr. MacArthur needs to do is the same. Embrace others in the love of Christ!

3rd - Scripture says
Joel 2 ( Also quoted by Peter in Acts 2)
28 “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions.
29 Even on the male and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit.
30 “And I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and columns of smoke. 31 The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes. 32 And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Acts 2
38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”

God Bless!

A sincere Thank You for that insightful post. I was hoping I was not the only one out here who felt that way. I'm Baptist also but my wife comes from a charismatic background and I often look to her for insight on spiritual matters. As a result of our separate backgrounds I have studied the Holy Spirit much these last few years and have reached a couple of conclusions.
1) The gifts of the spirit are supernatural gifts and are as legitimate today as they were in Acts.
2) To deny them is to deny the power of the Holy Ghost, hence to deny God
3)They are poorly understood by most and hence open to abuse by many.
4) Because of this abuse, many so called "Prominent Denominations" steer well clear of addressing the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit which I find a pity because it is explicitly the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Trinity, that we have with us in person TODAY working through us; yet we are hesitant to acknowledge him and his works outside of giving him credit of convicting sinners of their sins. We sort of treat the Holy Spirit like a guard dog. We see someone in need of salvation and sic the Holy Ghost on them to convict them of their sin, but once they are saved we want him back on the leash and in his pen. Out of sight, out of mind.

Regarding John MacArthur: To put it mildly, he baffles me. For the life of me I can't understand why a man of his education, as well as a "Man of God" , would make such inflammatory accusations against fellow Christians. I told my wife regarding him and his Strange Fire remarks, "I can only think of two explanations for his conduct.
1) He really believes what he is saying, in which case he is wrong and is guilty of blasphemy against the Holy Ghost......the one unpardonable sin
2) He doesn't believe what he is saying, but is doing it just to drive sales of his new book."

I'm not sure which is worse. Either way, I find it hard to believe he could not have foreseen the implications and problems this is gonna have on the Church worldwide, yet he did it anyway. To me personally, that more than anything he has said, shows me where his heart is.

SemperFiDawg

Well that didn't take long. Nope!

SemperFiDawg

U

I didn't hear about this Strange Fire thing until I saw this thread. Maybe MacArthur is just focusing on loons like Todd Bentley.

That is what I had hoped when I first heard about it also. Unfortunately he paints the entire Charismatic movement with the same brush. From the quotes I have seen it is bad.