Any of ya'll ever heard of deacons-in-training

Our pastor picked a few of us last year to be deacons in training.All they really wanted us to do was cut the grass which is fine by me.He said if we did ok he would make us a deacon.I had never heard of this,just wondering if any of ya'll had.

one_shot_no_mor

I Have...

Our church used to do that MANY years ago. The last "Deacon in training" that I know of just turned 92...

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
"Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business". Acts 6:3

It appears that the first Deacon selection was somewhat spontaneous, and the selection seems to have been based on the candidate's overall faithfullness to the ministry.

It appears also that the early Church made the selection as opposed to any one person who may have or could have some bias.

Training is desirable, but it should take place after the Deacon is elected by the Church.

The Church Pastor has enough responsibility in the Church without worrying about who the future Deacons will be.

Double Barrel BB

I would think a "Deacon in Training" would be something like going to class to learn how to become a Deacon. i.e. doctorine issues, answering questions from people about The Bible, etc.

My Pa(wife's Granddad) was a Deacon, until his health has made it so that he can not perform the duties of communion. Before he became a Deacon, he had to sit down in front of the pastor of the church, 2 other Deacons, and 1 pastor from a sister church, and answered various questions on Biblical events, questions that could be asked from anyone, Doctorinal understanding, among other things. He said it lasted almost 4 hours, of verbal questioning. Once the questioning was done, at the next Church business meeting, he was endorsed by the ones that interviewed him, and then the church voted to weather or not he would be a deacon. He is now 85 years old, semi-healthy, and a fine example of who I hope I will become through Christ, with experience and study. I can not think of a more humble man, a more Christ-like man then him. I hope to be able to share many-many more days with him before he goes on the heaven.

DB BB

PWalls

Potential Deacon candidates are screened by the existing Deacon body at our church before they are approved. The congregation selects the candidates, but the Pastor and existing Deacon body "grill" them for a few hours prior to accepting them to make sure they are grounded doctrinally and personally to be able to function.

Don't know about Deacon-in-training. First I have heard of it.

Right now I am still a Christian-in-training trying to be all that God wants me to be.

Hawkeye

In My church I choose the deacons, according to their testimony, and then I give them a choice whether to be a deacon or not.
Tehn He goes into a 3 month training period, and they go into different ministris of their choosing, whether teaching or Ushering or physical work in The Church.

But lawn care we give to a brother who lives of that business and pay him.

A deacon most be married and have a good testimony in church, none alcoholic, drug free and faithfull to his wife and church, then the church meets them and then we lay hands on them and ordaine them for 6 months as a trial period.
After 6 months if they wish to stay in that ministry then they are ordained for life.