PDA

View Full Version : If a poisonous snake...

WSB
09-16-2006, 10:56 PM
bites itself or another poisonous snake, does it kill it? I have been told by some yes and by others no. It seems to me they would be immune to their own poison. Anybody know?

WSB
09-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Must of been a stupid question.:(

Flash
09-23-2006, 12:18 PM
I don't know the answer but it must not affect the non poisonous much.

If it did how could a Black or King snake put a whooping on a poisonous????

Twenty five ought six
09-23-2006, 02:13 PM
King snakes are immune. Learned that on the Discovery Channel:clap: :clap: :clap:

I've always heard the poisonous snakes are immune to poison, but I've never conducted an experiment to prove it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

elfiii
10-03-2006, 11:52 PM
I know venemous snakes are susceptible to hot lead poisoning, from me.

Jasper
10-04-2006, 07:09 AM
I know venemous snakes are susceptible to hot lead poisoning, from me.

How do you do it elf, shoot em right in the neck? :D :yeah:

And not that it matters much, but elf is right. Snakes are venemous, not poisonous.............:bounce:

elfiii
10-04-2006, 10:24 AM
How do you do it elf, shoot em right in the neck? :D :yeah:

And not that it matters much, but elf is right. Snakes are venemous, not poisonous.............:bounce:

They all get a dose of .45ACP ! Repeat treatments until the twitching stops.

dawglover73
10-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Must of been a stupid question.:(

Either that, or a really good one.

I have never thought of this before. It seems that they would be immune to it. On the other hand, doesn't their venom sit inside some kind of sack until it is time to be injected into its prey? Therefore, the rest of the body has not had much exposure to the venom, and the immunity would not be in play.

Either way, it would be a pretty dumb snake.

Just BB
10-04-2006, 10:36 AM
I bit myself once whilst trying to leap over my truck bed when Jasper's Daddy put a snake under my orange vest in the bed.....Didn't kill myself but thought I had.

Confederate_Jay
01-18-2007, 12:37 AM
I read one time of a King Cobra in a zoo or reptile park that died from biting itself.

I guess he couldn't stand the confinement and committed zooicide.

Slingblade
01-18-2007, 03:06 AM
That just ain't right...I guess the Snake Whisperer didn't get there in time.

panman
02-10-2007, 09:19 PM
One time i ran over a BIG moccicn.backed up and ran him over again.Got my Ruger 22 smi.pistol and put a shot in him[didnt hit the spine.He turned and bit himself where i hit him.I was watching from only 5-6 ft away and watched in amaisement as he was pumping venom into his own body.After i minute maby shorter he suddenly realised i was watching him.You never saw such hatered in a snakes eyes.He had a head as big as my fist and it was headed my way,about 2 ft.or so above the ground.I looked in the rear view and a car was coming so i left as i was pulling away i looked in the rear view and seen it get in the side road brush.Im telling ya i never saw more hatered than i saw then.pan.

60Grit
02-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Ya'll are crackin me up. These are some of the best post I've seen in a while....

:cheers: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

shaggybill
02-19-2007, 02:38 PM
One time i ran over a BIG moccicn.backed up and ran him over again.Got my Ruger 22 smi.pistol and put a shot in him[didnt hit the spine.He turned and bit himself where i hit him.I was watching from only 5-6 ft away and watched in amaisement as he was pumping venom into his own body.After i minute maby shorter he suddenly realised i was watching him.You never saw such hatered in a snakes eyes.He had a head as big as my fist and it was headed my way,about 2 ft.or so above the ground.I looked in the rear view and a car was coming so i left as i was pulling away i looked in the rear view and seen it get in the side road brush.Im telling ya i never saw more hatered than i saw then.pan.

Haha. Funny post.

Just BB
02-19-2007, 04:26 PM
If a poisonous snake does bite itself, if it's anything like biting me, then immunity wouldn't be the biggest concern. I hope it gives itself a heart attack!

champ
02-23-2007, 08:07 PM
I eat rattlers. I've been told by old timers that they bite thereselves too. But they always taste the same. Poor man's gator tail is what I call it. Cleanest white meat you ever seen. Sure goes good with radish and cat soup.

jason8047
02-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Once while out bowhunting I was standing by a down log and just happened to look down and about a foot from me was a huge copperhead. I stepped back and made a snake-ka-bob and to my surprise it turned out to be two copperheads. If they hadnt uh been doin what they wuz uh doin Ida been bit.

jason8047
02-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Oh yeah to answer your question. Every time I saw a snake that bit itself it died within a matter of moments. One copperhead about 2 n a half feet and one rattlesnake 52". I cant swear that it was the venom that killed em though and they didnt bite theirself until Id whacked um with a big stick.

jinx0760
02-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Who really cares, as long as it dies.:fine:

No. GA. Mt. Man
02-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Heck I never figured out how many licks it took to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

shdw633
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Heck I never figured out how many licks it took to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

6 tops, I got to get to the center!!

dutchman
02-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Muddyfoots needs to weigh in on this. He's our local snake expert.:bounce:

Muddyfoots
02-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Muddyfoots needs to weigh in on this. He's our local snake expert.:bounce:

Found this:

For the most part, no. This is due to circulating antibodies within the
snakes plasma against its own venom. Thus, the venom from another
individual usually has no effect. Notable cases where this has been shown
to not be the case have been well documented. For example, the Australian
spotted black snake (Pseudechis guttatus) is quite able to kill other
members of the sames species.

dutchman
02-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Found this:

For the most part, no. This is due to circulating antibodies within the
snakes plasma against its own venom. Thus, the venom from another
individual usually has no effect. Notable cases where this has been shown
to not be the case have been well documented. For example, the Australian
spotted black snake (Pseudechis guttatus) is quite able to kill other
members of the sames species.

What's your source, there, Bawana?:D

Muddyfoots
02-28-2007, 02:31 PM
What's your source, there, Bawana?:D

That's about the only place I could find an answer I liked..:biggrin2:

Team_Ike
03-28-2007, 09:42 AM
It really wouldn't make sense for them to react to their own venom. Seems to me if a snake uses venom to kill prey, then consumes the prey aren't they actually consuming the venom also?

LOVEMYLABXS
03-28-2007, 11:31 AM
It really wouldn't make sense for them to react to their own venom. Seems to me if a snake uses venom to kill prey, then consumes the prey aren't they actually consuming the venom also?

My understanding on this is that the venom acts to break down the victims muscel tissues right away to help speed up digestion.:huh:

But lead poisoning is quicker :clap:

I don't mind bull snakes or garder snakes as long as it ain't a sudden surprize:hair:

Ol' Red
03-28-2007, 01:18 PM
How do you bait snakes? Is it unethical to shoot the out of trees or on holes?

Red

LOVEMYLABXS
03-28-2007, 01:43 PM

Red

Nope it's ok to shoot them out of the trees or in holes but bird shot is recomended slugs and bullets do too much damage to the trees after a clean pass thru :shoot: :shoot: :rofl:

Team_Ike
03-28-2007, 02:26 PM

Red
In the words of Green Eggs and Ham
I would shoot them with a goat, I would shoot them from a boat, I would shoot them anywhere, Just shoot them and not care. I would beat them with a rake I do not like any snake.:shoot:

LOVEMYLABXS
03-28-2007, 03:47 PM
In the words of Green Eggs and Ham
I would shoot them with a goat, I would shoot them from a boat, I would shoot them anywhere, Just shoot them and not care. I would beat them with a rake I do not like any snake.:shoot:

Would you rope one with a rope?? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hunter bob
03-28-2007, 08:53 PM
I think you guys have way to much time on you hands.
I have a 410 derringer that works great at close range.:yeah:

60Grit
03-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Nope it's ok to shoot them out of the trees or in holes but bird shot is recomended slugs and bullets do too much damage to the trees after a clean pass thru :shoot: :shoot: :rofl:

Wouldn't it mess up less meat if you shot him in the head instead of the hole??? ::ke: :rofl: ::gone: ::gone: :hair:

Ol' Red
03-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Depends on the whole you shoot him in.....:bounce:

Red

crackerdave
04-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Only snake that dies from biting itself-a rattlemouth cottonhead.And if one ever bites YOU,don't even bother going for help-just sit down and start praying,you will die in 1 minute! Fact or fiction-you decide!

Son
04-14-2007, 04:47 PM
This thread is so wild I just gotta jump in.
I'm the fellow who cut the ears and legs off all snakes. Don't believe me just check em.

crackerdave
04-15-2007, 07:33 PM
What,if you don't mind me asking,did you do with all those ears and legs?

mwalker1313
04-16-2007, 07:12 AM
would much rather deal with snakes then rats and the black plague:smash: :smash: :smash:

Lloyd72
04-16-2007, 07:54 PM
If a snake bites itself it does die. The reason that it is able to carry the venom but not die is that the venom is stored in two sacs that isolate it. The sacs contain chemicals that keep it from eating its way out. Although some snakes maybe be immune if they were bitten but very little venom intered, because then they would build up antibodies agiants it. Just like you build up anti bodies after you get a flu shot.

Son
04-20-2007, 12:09 AM
What,if you don't mind me asking,did you do with all those ears and legs?

You expect me to remember after 60 some years? I liked to have never found this thread again...:huh:

Berryhill
05-09-2007, 09:45 AM
If a snake bites itself it does die. The reason that it is able to carry the venom but not die is that the venom is stored in two sacs that isolate it. The sacs contain chemicals that keep it from eating its way out. Although some snakes maybe be immune if they were bitten but very little venom intered, because then they would build up antibodies agiants it. Just like you build up anti bodies after you get a flu shot.

Partially correct. There is nothing special about the sac which stores the venom of a snake. These snakes we are discussing are "venomous", not "poisonous"... which in short means that the venom would have no effect on the digestive system (i.e. you can drink venom or eat the head of a venomous snake and other than the possibility of indigestion, it will have no effect on the human body.) However these venoms, when INJECTED, would have a great effect on the cardiovascular system (or muscular system, depending on which snake).

All snakes (or animals) would be affected in one way or another if bitten by a venomous snake. Nothing is "fully immune", but certain levels of immunity exist. For example, the common kingsnake will routinely be bit during the attack on a venomous snake. What puts the kingsnake atop the serpent food-chain is the fact that it is highly resistant to venom by its production of antibodies to counter the venom. Humans bit on more than one occasion develop similar immunodefenses (snake handlers, etc).

Sorry for the late response... just saw the thread this morning. But in either case--- great question WSB!

WSB
05-13-2007, 06:21 PM
I haven't checked this thread in a long time, it's great to see it's still gettin some post!:clap:

Quack-Wacker
08-16-2007, 10:32 PM
The diffrence between poison and venom is that poison is ingested venom is injected... you could drink a cup full of snake venom with no side affects..... unless you have a cut in your mouth..... wich means eat all the snakes you want and yes killing snakes is un-ethical unless you eat them.

Lead Poison
08-16-2007, 11:22 PM
The diffrence between poison and venom is that poison is ingested venom is injected... you could drink a cup full of snake venom with no side affects..... unless you have a cut in your mouth..... wich means eat all the snakes you want and yes killing snakes is un-ethical unless you eat them.

Umm, that doesn't make any sense at all!

There are millions of substances that will kill you, even if you do not have a "cut in your mouth". Ingested substances are absorbed into the bloodstream.

Call me unethical if you wish; if a poisonious snake is near me, he poses a significant threat to my well being and will be killed.

I don't kill non-poisonious snakes because they are not a threat and are beneficial...they eat poisonious snakes. :cool:

Quack-Wacker
08-17-2007, 03:01 PM
it does make sense the venom does not make it far enough into the digestive track to harm you. your stomach acids deal with that. besides the protien in snake venom doesnt harm you unless injected into your blood stream, getting snake venom on your hands doesn't hurt you neither does snake venom in your digestive track.. as far a calling anyone un ethical thats not my place just think about the role all snakes play in the enviroment and understand the are more scared of you, then you are of them.... most snakes can easily be avoided

Lead Poison
08-17-2007, 03:45 PM
it does make sense the venom does not make it far enough into the digestive track to harm you. your stomach acids deal with that. besides the protien in snake venom doesnt harm you unless injected into your blood stream, getting snake venom on your hands doesn't hurt you neither does snake venom in your digestive track.. as far a calling anyone un ethical thats not my place just think about the role all snakes play in the enviroment and understand the are more scared of you, then you are of them.... most snakes can easily be avoided

I bet it doesn't taste good; watch out for those critters.:bounce::cheers:

Quack-Wacker
08-19-2007, 10:05 PM
agreed