SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS

Bowhunter24

We are getting some pics in of deer that do not have all the required criteria. The pic must all of the following, THE DEER, U, THE PAPER AND UR BOW, IN THE PIC. All of these MUST be in the pic. PLEASE NOTE, AS SOON AS THE ARCHERY SEASON IS OVER AND THE MUZZLELOADER SEASON STARTS, ANY PICS THAT ARE SUBMITTED THAT DO NOT HAVE ALL THE REQUIRED THINGS IN THE PIC, THAT ENTRY WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN THE CONTEST. Im letting some of this pics fly right now becuase it is archery only season right now, but as soon as it becomes muzzleloader season this pics will not be allowed with out all the required items that make it a legal pic. Please foolow directions guys, i would not wanna disallow a hard earned entry for someone.

Todd E

Why bend rules for one season. Rules are clear, to me. I fear if a lot of pics are posted now w/o meeting the criteria............it will come back to bite ya'(or cause a ruckus). Just me:cool:

Bone Collector

I think the rules are pretty clear, too. What if someone decided to kill a deer out of state and then had a friend email them a picture of a Georgia newspaper? Well, they won't be in the same picture. That's for sure. But all you have to go by is a man's word. I think we are all honest guys, but I don't want anyone questioning integrity of the hunters or the contest. We need to follow the rules exactly from now on. Photoshopped pictures to include all items don't count either. Now, all I gotta do is kill a deer and then I'll stop preaching and show you how well I follow directions.:cheers:

BC

Paul Cataldo

Well, I can see where you guys are coming from.
I will go ahead and tell you guys I shot a doe at 53 yards last week, with my bow. I was out in the middle of the woods, with no one around, and it was dark as heck.
I was hunting behind my grandmothers house, alone, with no one around. My grandmother is deaf, and cannot hear.
Anyhow, I drug the doe up into the backyard, and took a couple pics. It suddenly dawned on me, that I was supposed to be in the pic, with my bow, and a paper.
Well, I had called one of my buddies to see who might want this deer, (I didn't have time to go to the cooler and drop it off), so my buddy sent someone over to my grandmothers house, to pick the deer up, and take it to the cooler. The guy pulled behind my grandmothers house, and I had him snap a couple pics of me and my doe and my Hoyt Trykon XL. Then, I suddenly realized the PAPER was the only thing missing!
Of course, my Grandma was asleep, so there is no waking up a deaf person, especially your grandma over a paper! LOL! So, luckily I had a key on me (which I normally do not), and I got in the house to get a paper.
Well, I honestly did not have a paper ANYWHERE. What's crazy as all heck, is that of ALL things in the WORLD, an Atlanta Journal Constitution Paper is the ONLY thing in the world that we have ALWAYS had NO MATTER what!
Well, as luck would have it, my grandmother had JUST thrown out the papers for the entire week (she keeps a FULL weeks papers, and then throws them ALL out at once. Been doing it for 80 years that way).
Wanna know what's even MORE ironic guys??
My grandfather (who is no longer with us), worked for the Atlanta Journal Constitution newspaper for practically his ENTIRE life, and was one of the BEST workers in the plant. He was deaf too, but that didn't stop him! Anyhow, what's worse, is we have been receiving the AJC paper for YEARS and YEARS for absolutely FREE, since my grandfather retired from there years ago.
Anyhow, I guess if you guys want to disqualify my deer, then I completely understand.
I did shoot the deer before muzzleloader season started. Oh, and you guys wanna know what's even MORE ironic? I don't even own any firearms! LOL!
I dont' even own a .22 anymore. I bowhunt only.
Like I said though guys, if you guys must disqualify my deer, then I understand. I'm sorry, it's just hard to get a newspaper in a pic, in the dark, out in the wet swampy marshes behind my grandmas house, with some goofy friend of a friends trying to work the digital camera!
I had to do all but push the button for this guy!!!!

Bowhunter24

Paul I am sorry for the situation that u were in, but if not all the criteria that is listed for a pic to be legal than we will not be able to accept ur entry the date u posted this was during a firarms time of season, when the guns season started with muzzleloader a week ago, all pics have to be with everything in them, sorry about that hope u get another one.

Paul Cataldo

Yeah, well the deer was shot a week before Muzzleloader season. Would the pic of the bloody arrow help? Guess not huh? How many points did I lose for the doe???
Oh well...

Bowhunter24

well if it was shot before muzzleloader and u are just now entering it it still would not count u have 7 days from date of kill to enter it. Its all there in the rules, we had a grace period and now that time is over, if i bend them for u i would have to bend the rules for everyone else. I would take the time to go back over the rules. Good luck

Paul Cataldo

Well,
My post above was supposed to say:

My deer was shot "a week before in Muzzleloader season." My fault for being unclear. I surely did not shoot that doe THAT long ago. LOL! That would be like over 2 weeks ago!

Oh well,

Yeah sorry,
I have just been so busy running three businesses, that I forgot some of the rules. I can't memorize them, with everything else going on.
Only reason I could not enter it, is because my stupid computers Kodak pic software was down for several days.
I think that rule is a little extreme, as I would hate to see someone shoot a record book buck, and not be able to enter it, because they had computer problems such as I did, or for that matter any other problem which forced them to have to wait 8 days to post a pic with a newspaper and a bow.
Who cares if it's 8 or 9 days later?
Please understand, I'm not trying to bash you at all, as this is your contest, and you have been so kind to go to the great extent to start it up, so I respect that.
I think next year, we ought to make it a little easier to enter a deer into the contest. I realize the rules are setup to fend off cheaters, but I'll be surprised if my digital camera is even capable of taking a picture that will allow you guys to clearly make out the date on it. That's some FINE PRINT, and I KNOW I don't have the camera skills to get an up close shot like that.
I apologize for forgetting to post the deer within 7 days.
Take care guys and good luck to all....

Last edited:

Just 1 More

Paul... I can understand your frustration But, we made those rules for what we felt to be good reasons. If for some reason you or anyone else feels they are too hard to live by, then by all means, withdraw from the contest.
This was supposed to be for fun.. the last thing we need or want is attitudes or problems because someone could not follow or live up to the rules posted. Everyone had every oppertunity to read,,, re read, print and have a copy of the rules. We are not the bad guys here and I personally will not accept and shoulder any of the blame for anyone not being able to abide by the rules.
Sorry your entry didn't work out just as others have not been able to enter deer for not being in accordance with the rules.
Good luck to you and please feel free to kill another and post it for entry in to the contest :cheers:

Bone Collector

PRINT OUT THE RULES. This was mentioned before the contest even got under way. If you have a copy of the rules on hand then there is no reason to forget. It's not hard to remember the simple requirements anyway.

BC

Paul Cataldo

Gentleman,
Did not notice these above replies until today. I have no idea why the GON forum has failed to notify me of the above replies, when I am still subscribed to this thread.

I am NOT in any way attempting to throw any attitude, or make ANYONE on this forum out to be the "bad guy" as was stated above.
Please understand this. I don't really care about the doe. I know in my mind it was a legal deer, but I know I did not have a paper at the time, so it cannot be counted, so it's COOL brothas....!

I would like to respectfully inquire about one thing though, that is in regards to other deer photos that I've seen posted and accepted as entries into the contest.
Why is it that some photos are accepted, when you can't even read the date on the paper??
Is that not the sole purpose of the paper being in photo, in the first place??
I would think so, but maybe I'm all wrong again.
Just wondering what everyone thinks about this???

Please understand I'm NOT attempting to get anyone's entry thrown out or anything like that, and I have no particular photo in mind, as I've seen several...
Thanks guys..