Tighter Groups

Bones

I shoot a pretty tight group at 20 yards but the futher out I get the larger the groups get. I was told that the way to tighten my groups was to get better arrows with smaller tolerances for weight and staightness. I currently shoot arrows that are +or - 1 grain in weight and .006 tolerance for straighteness. How big a difference could this make?

Bones

QuakerBoy

also, try shooting more at longer distances.

Practice with good form with long shots will help your shorter shots.

reylamb

It depends on what you are after.

In order to achieve great groups at any yardage you must have solid form and great equipment.

gabowman

Bones, not sure about your setup and everything already mentioned is vital. A few more things that might help: I shot a TM Hunter rest and convential vanes/feathers.....changed to a Muzzy Drop Away rest and Turbo nocks and tightened my groups up to the point that I only shoot one arrow to a bullseye. I'd say the MZE did most of the work though. The turbos may have helped oput some but they are just convienent not having to refletch any more arrows. I'd say my groups tightend up to half of what I was shooting previously, 'course form and equipment comes in #1 before all else.

GB

Several things can effect your group. It's usually form (or lack of). Just keep telling yourself to hold that bow until the arrow hits the target. It's called follow-through. Don't try harder to hold the pin on the target, it only defeats the purpose. (less muscle tension is better) Just relax and think about aiming while you are squeezing the release. Also, ensure the bow is tuned and the arrows are spined to match the cam style, draw length and poundage of the bow. There's a number of things to think about. This archery stuff is just cool......... :)

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
You didn't say how much difference the groups are. If you shot three arrows exactly the same twice, a 1 inch group at 20 yards might be 2 inches at 30 yards.

Unless a person shoots perfect, an increase in range should = a larger group

Last edited:

reylamb

The reason I did not mention it, is that you could put an untuned bow on a Hooter Shooter and it will put arrow after arrow in the same hole, as long as the arrows are properly spined and wobble free.

Having said that, most of us do not shoot like machines, so it is an important part of the equation.