Faith or brainwashing at "Jesus Camp"?

Dixie Dawg

Saw this on AOL's video tonight, it's a clip from ABC News about a camp called "Jesus Camp" that they have made a movie about that's been independently released recently. Here's the link for the ABC News piece, not sure if you can link it outside of AOL:

http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=2&guideContext=65.73&pmmsid=1728706

If you can't watch the video, here's a link with a movie trailer on it: http://www.christianblog.com/blog/clayonmyeyes/faith-or-fanaticism/

Here's an excerpt from a story on the movie from News-Leader.com: http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060916/LIFE07/609160319/1039

"The movie introduces Pastor Becky Fischer, who holds a summer camp that takes vacation Bible school to a new level. It also provides a close look at a few children who attended "Kids on Fire" camp — all from Missouri.

"I'm on a campaign to change the way the church disciples children," she said, nearly lifting off the chair in her excitement.

She compares her ministry with the Islamic schools that train Muslim children to be ready for jihad.
"While churches are passing out coloring pages and snacks to kids, the Palestinians are out there" teaching kids to be martyrs for their religion, she said.

"It's not that I want to raise up killers," she added quickly. "What's our weapon? Prayer. They're mighty through God. We're equipping them for the love of Jesus. ... What the Taliban terrorists do is out of hatred. Ours is out of love."

Fact and fiction

The film shows scenes with children, such as 9-year-old Rachael Elhardt of Waynesville, in tears as they raise their arms in prayer as they grasp palm-sized plastic images of fetuses. Or boys such as 12-year-old Levi O'Brien of St. Robert with faces painted in camouflage as they perform a spiritual war dance."

There is a boat load of controversy about this movie, especially in the Christian community. You can Google "Jesus Camp" and get pages of hits on opinions and thoughts. It is people like this that are giving Christianity a bad name. It's this kind of stuff that had me regretting I sent my daughter to Camp Maranatha in Ila a few years back and swore she would never go again (and they weren't even as bad as the Jesus Camp is!). The owner of the Camp claims that what she does is out of love, where the Taliban does it out of hatred. Does your motive really matter when you hand someone a loaded gun? :huh:

Is this a movie that you will want to go see? Take your children to see it? Would you send your child to a "camp" like this? :huh:

FESTUSHAGGIN

i watched the video and thought it was a little disturbing. first of all i would never "send" my children to any christian based camp. I will never "send" my children to church. I will however take my children to church so that i can know what they are hearing. so much damage can be done to an impressionable child if they hear the wrong information. myself or my wife will always be with our children when they are in church.

SBG

Is this a movie that you will want to go see? Take your children to see it? Would you send your child to a "camp" like this? :huh:

No. No. No.

GeauxLSU

I'd use the same discernment about any 'camp' that I would about ANY place I'd send my child unaccompanied by me.

SBG

I have to admit I'm a little bit surprised. Out of everyone, I kind of thought you might be in support of it.

You have gotta be kidding me right?

To each his own...but this ol' boy ain't no holy roller.